Stenner winterizing

SunnyInTexas

Bronze Supporter
Jul 21, 2016
Plano Tx
Hi all! I will be starting construction of a pool & spa soon in Plano TX (Dallas area). I was initially planning to go the SWG route, but have decided against it to avoid any potential issues with the limestone and travertine we will be using. I believe I would like to go with a Stenner pump and reservoir to automate chlorine dosing. In the Dallas area we do not close pools for winter, but it does get below freezing, occasionally dropping into the teens. Will I need to do anything to winterize the setup to avoid damage due to freezing? I was hoping I'd be able to use it year-round and just adjust the chlorine output based on the seasonal needs of my pool. Apologies if I've missed the answer in previous threads. Thank you to everyone who shares knowledge on this forum. I have been studying for about 2 years and have learned so much here!

Interesting....SWGs stop working below 60F to protect cells from damage. So most SWG owners switch over to minimal manual bleach chlorination during the winter months. Rather than leaving a tank full of bleach out all winter and tubing to "freeze/thaw", would it be possible to simply winterize the Stenner and manually add bleach? Just wondering if it makes more sense to protect the tubing, motor, tank, etc from the winter extremes.

Last winter I think I used something like 2 gallons of 8.25% bleach the entire winter (~4 months here). I maybe had to dose the pool once every few weeks.

I could certainly do that if I needed to, and I wouldn't mind the manual dosing, but if it is unnecessary I'll save myself the trouble. Based on the bleach freezing temperatures Bama gave, it is pretty unlikely my bleach would freeze in the Dallas area, and particularly so if I'm using higher strength bleach.
Are you suggesting the cold temperatures alone may shorten the life of my Stenner setup, even if they are above the level of bleach freezing? I hadn't really thought of that, but I suppose that is something to consider.

I was merely suggesting that winter chlorine usage rates are so incredibly low that manual dosing is just as easy. I'm sure the Stenner motors, like SWG cells, are built to withstand the elements. I suppose the tubes could become less ductile in a mechanical sense as temperatures drop but I don't know that for sure.

I was merely suggesting that winterizing a Stenner simply alleviates a potential equipment problem. Seems like evidence suggests it probably doesn't matter either way.

I gotcha. You are totally right that it would be no big deal to manually dose during winter.

If any one else has a Stenner pump and tank in DFW or a similar climate I'd love you hear if you run it year-round, and if you've had any problems doing so.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.