stripped drain plug

Aug 12, 2008
I over tightened my cap on my drain plug and stripped the plastic threads on my sand filter tank. I tried using some thread tape and it is helping, but there is still a little drip. Is there anyway to repair this, or will I have to buy a new tank? The drain is molded into the tank, so there is no way of replacing it. Thanks for any answers

I'm not an expert but, you can try finding a male female pvc threaded adapter...apply pvc glue to the female part of the adapter and the threads on your sand filter and it should be able to seal the stripped threads. Are you sure it's the threads on the filter and not the cap? I'm thinking if you use this route and your cap thread is OK, you can just crew the cap onto the pvc adapter...here is a link to the part I am thinking off....just don;t know what size you will need

http://www.plumbingsupply.com/images/pvc-fitting-434-threaded-extenders-fipsxmips.jpg

Note...using pvc glue will be permanent, so you may also want to try PVC type pipe dope with teflon...you can actually just try this with the cap first...here is what I use on my threaded pvc fittings ..1 oz. Great Whiteâ„¢ Basic Pipe Joint Compound

Good luck

There's probably a way to fix this ... possibilities I can think of off the top of my head are die the pipe (as in tap and die) - the die will put male threads on the pipe or figure out what the pipe is made of and glue a new male adapter to it.

However, as most pump/ filter kits are oversized on pump and undersized on filter, this is a good chance for you to upsize the filter 8)

Good luck with this, please keep us posted :goodjob:

dmanb2b said:
I'm not an expert but, you can try finding a male female pvc threaded adapter...apply pvc glue to the female part of the adapter and the threads on your sand filter and it should be able to seal the stripped threads. Are you sure it's the threads on the filter and not the cap? I'm thinking if you use this route and your cap thread is OK, you can just crew the cap onto the pvc adapter...here is a link to the part I am thinking off....just don;t know what size you will need

http://www.plumbingsupply.com/images/pvc-fitting-434-threaded-extenders-fipsxmips.jpg

Note...using pvc glue will be permanent, so you may also want to try PVC type pipe dope with teflon...you can actually just try this with the cap first...here is what I use on my threaded pvc fittings ..1 oz. Great Whiteâ„¢ Basic Pipe Joint Compound

Good luck
Good tip.

It is the threads on the tank that are stripped. The cap is fine. I think the threads were damaged to begin with. I thought about just glueing the cap on to get through the summer and getting a new tank for next season, but this would be worst case scenario.

You mentioned the pipe dope. Do you think this would be better than the tape?? I thought about pipe dope last night, but I was not sure if it would be permeant or not. Thanks for the tips

the great white pipe dope can be used for Gas and potable water pvc connection...if it's good enough for natural gas...it's good enough for me. I apply it liberally and have had no issues at 20-28 psi...my filter PSI range...also it is not permanent and will not dry out

waste said:
There's probably a way to fix this ... possibilities I can think of off the top of my head are die the pipe (as in tap and die) - the die will put male threads on the pipe or figure out what the pipe is made of and glue a new male adapter to it.

However, as most pump/ filter kits are oversized on pump and undersized on filter, this is a good chance for you to upsize the filter 8)

I really don't know much about pumps and filters. I got a Lomart pool with a Spectra 3 tank and Lomart pump. It does the job and it is basically brand new, I bought everything last july. We only use the pool for really three months. Would you suggest a bigger sand filter?? I think I have a 17" tank, could I goto a 20" with a 1hp pump??

dmanb2b said:
the great white pipe dope can be used for Gas and potable water pvc connection...if it's good enough for natural gas...it's good enough for me. I apply it liberally and have had no issues at 20-28 psi...my filter PSI range...also it is not permanent and will not dry out

Thanks!!

NJpoolguy said:
waste said:

I really don't know much about pumps and filters. I got a Lomart pool with a Spectra 3 tank and Lomart pump. It does the job and it is basically brand new, I bought everything last july. We only use the pool for really three months. Would you suggest a bigger sand filter?? I think I have a 17" tank, could I goto a 20" with a 1hp pump??

It's always better to go with a bigger filter than is 'speced' for your pump :wink: Having a pump that is at the max for your filter will work, but getting the next size up filter will improve the performance 8)

dmanb2b said:

Dman, the great white pipe dope CAN be used for gas connections? If you will confirm this for me, I'll owe you BIG time! :-D (we've got lots of troubles reconnecting the gas lines to many of the heaters we take in for the winter - I thought we weren't allowed to use dope on them so we end up calling in the gas co. to finalize the connection when it leaks)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.