Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: stripped drain plug

1. Back To Top    #1

stripped drain plug

I over tightened my cap on my drain plug and stripped the plastic threads on my sand filter tank. I tried using some thread tape and it is helping, but there is still a little drip. Is there anyway to repair this, or will I have to buy a new tank? The drain is molded into the tank, so there is no way of replacing it. Thanks for any answers
    Lomart 21ft round 11,000 gal 52"
    Hayward EC40 Perflex DE filter
    1hp Hayward Powerflo Matrix with micro timer
    Pool Rover JR ABG pool Vacuum (The best)

Back up pump and filter
    Spectra 3 sand filter/ Promega 1 horse pump with timer

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: stripped drain plug

I'm not an expert but, you can try finding a male female pvc threaded adapter...apply pvc glue to the female part of the adapter and the threads on your sand filter and it should be able to seal the stripped threads. Are you sure it's the threads on the filter and not the cap? I'm thinking if you use this route and your cap thread is OK, you can just crew the cap onto the pvc adapter...here is a link to the part I am thinking off....just don;t know what size you will need

http://www.plumbingsupply.com/images...-fipsxmips.jpg

Note...using pvc glue will be permanent, so you may also want to try PVC type pipe dope with teflon...you can actually just try this with the cap first...here is what I use on my threaded pvc fittings ..1 oz. Great White™ Basic Pipe Joint Compound

Good luck
    24'x52" AGP (13,500 Gallons), Intex SWG, (2)Solar Bear 4x20 panels, Hayward S220T Filter, 1/2hp Pentair Superflo

Pool School, TFTestKits, Pool Calculator

3. Back To Top    #3

There's probably a way to fix this ... possibilities I can think of off the top of my head are die the pipe (as in tap and die) - the die will put male threads on the pipe or figure out what the pipe is made of and glue a new male adapter to it.

However, as most pump/ filter kits are oversized on pump and undersized on filter, this is a good chance for you to upsize the filter 8)

Good luck with this, please keep us posted
    Luv& Luk
    -Ted

Having done construction and service for 4 pool companies in 4 states starting in 1988, what I know about pools could fill a couple of books - what I don't know could fill a couple of libraries :-D

POOL SCHOOL, TF Testkits, Jason's Pool Calculator, CYA vs. cl chart, (Just a few DARNED handy links!)

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by dmanb2b
    I'm not an expert but, you can try finding a male female pvc threaded adapter...apply pvc glue to the female part of the adapter and the threads on your sand filter and it should be able to seal the stripped threads. Are you sure it's the threads on the filter and not the cap? I'm thinking if you use this route and your cap thread is OK, you can just crew the cap onto the pvc adapter...here is a link to the part I am thinking off....just don;t know what size you will need

http://www.plumbingsupply.com/images...-fipsxmips.jpg

Note...using pvc glue will be permanent, so you may also want to try PVC type pipe dope with teflon...you can actually just try this with the cap first...here is what I use on my threaded pvc fittings ..1 oz. Great White™ Basic Pipe Joint Compound

Good luck
    Good tip.

It is the threads on the tank that are stripped. The cap is fine. I think the threads were damaged to begin with. I thought about just glueing the cap on to get through the summer and getting a new tank for next season, but this would be worst case scenario.

You mentioned the pipe dope. Do you think this would be better than the tape?? I thought about pipe dope last night, but I was not sure if it would be permeant or not. Thanks for the tips

Back up pump and filter

5. Back To Top    #5

the great white pipe dope can be used for Gas and potable water pvc connection...if it's good enough for natural gas...it's good enough for me. I apply it liberally and have had no issues at 20-28 psi...my filter PSI range...also it is not permanent and will not dry out
    24'x52" AGP (13,500 Gallons), Intex SWG, (2)Solar Bear 4x20 panels, Hayward S220T Filter, 1/2hp Pentair Superflo

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by waste
    There's probably a way to fix this ... possibilities I can think of off the top of my head are die the pipe (as in tap and die) - the die will put male threads on the pipe or figure out what the pipe is made of and glue a new male adapter to it.

However, as most pump/ filter kits are oversized on pump and undersized on filter, this is a good chance for you to upsize the filter 8)

I really don't know much about pumps and filters. I got a Lomart pool with a Spectra 3 tank and Lomart pump. It does the job and it is basically brand new, I bought everything last july. We only use the pool for really three months. Would you suggest a bigger sand filter?? I think I have a 17" tank, could I goto a 20" with a 1hp pump??

Back up pump and filter

7. Back To Top    #7

the great white pipe dope can be used for Gas and potable water pvc connection...if it's good enough for natural gas...it's good enough for me. I apply it liberally and have had no issues at 20-28 psi...my filter PSI range...also it is not permanent and will not dry out
    Thanks!!

Back up pump and filter

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by NJpoolguy
    Quote Originally Posted by waste

I really don't know much about pumps and filters. I got a Lomart pool with a Spectra 3 tank and Lomart pump. It does the job and it is basically brand new, I bought everything last july. We only use the pool for really three months. Would you suggest a bigger sand filter?? I think I have a 17" tank, could I goto a 20" with a 1hp pump??
    It's always better to go with a bigger filter than is 'speced' for your pump Having a pump that is at the max for your filter will work, but getting the next size up filter will improve the performance 8)
    Luv& Luk
    -Ted

Having done construction and service for 4 pool companies in 4 states starting in 1988, what I know about pools could fill a couple of books - what I don't know could fill a couple of libraries :-D

POOL SCHOOL, TF Testkits, Jason's Pool Calculator, CYA vs. cl chart, (Just a few DARNED handy links!)

9. Back To Top    #9

Dman, the great white pipe dope CAN be used for gas connections? If you will confirm this for me, I'll owe you BIG time! (we've got lots of troubles reconnecting the gas lines to many of the heaters we take in for the winter - I thought we weren't allowed to use dope on them so we end up calling in the gas co. to finalize the connection when it leaks)
    Luv& Luk
    -Ted

10. Back To Top    #10

hey waste...I'm not a plumber, but maybe someone else here can confirm...but this is where I got that
    http://plumbing.hardwarestore.com/52....aspx#features

11. Back To Top    #11

If it's just a little drip it should stop on it's own, some small particles will build up and seal the leak. I'd give it a few days to a week before I did anything.
    Noob Here!
    24' Above Ground
    Aquatrol SWG
    1 1/2 hp pump, sand filter

12. Back To Top    #12

hey waste...I'm not a plumber, but maybe someone else here can confirm...but this is where I got that
    http://plumbing.hardwarestore.com/52....aspx#features
    I guess e-mailing Oatey could help confirm as well...hope that helps

13. Back To Top    #13

Thank you

I'll ask our "gas guy" about whether we can use this
    Luv& Luk
    -Ted