Arcing from pump motor wire.

Aug 11, 2016
Warwick, RI
I have a 1hp pool pump that was tripping the breaker so I opened up the cap and there was a bunch of white ashy crud inside. I brushed out the crud and with the cap off, turned the breaker back on. When I threw the switch, the pump fired right up but there was arcing at the blue wire where it connects to a plastic block with white and yellow wired attached. In the photo you can see where it burned itself off. I also see the burn mark inside the cap and that looks like the same area. For what it’s worth, the ground wire didn’t seem very well attached when I removed the power cord.

Any help or advice is appreciated. I can solder if that part is cooked.

IMG_5118.jpgIMG_5119.jpg

I would pull that board out and see what the connection is like on the other side. It is hard to tell from the pictures, but you may be able to bypass that connection point on that board. I am not sure where that wire is going to once it goes under that board

I would pull that board out and see what the connection is like on the other side. It is hard to tell from the pictures, but you may be able to bypass that connection point on that board. I am not sure where that wire is going to once it goes under that board

Thanks. You're right. I took it to a local motor repair shop and they told me it was the overload cut off and to bypass it by tying all three wires together. Trimmed it off at the solder joints and had barely enough wire for a wire nut and a zip tie to secure it. Worked like a charm! Motor shop charged me nothing for the advice and I'm back in business.

Thanks again.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.