Discontinued SWG

presse55

Bronze Supporter
Aug 8, 2016
Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Hello group!

A spa I recently acquired came along with a SWG as an addon.

The SWG manufacturer no longer distributes or supports this product. All I was able to find on the internet was a brief document describing the proper use of the SWG.

The unit does seem to work fine. But I'm looking for guidance to make sure I make optimal use of it.

Here are a few details:
  • SPA volume: 450 gallons
  • SWG: Ocean Technologies, manufactured in 2013;
    The only controls on the unit allow to set 6 on times & duration of each cycle;
    The present setting is 6 on periods of 30 minutes each, spaced equally throughout the day;
    There is no automatic salt measurement, no 'low-medium-high' percentage setting, no flow measurement;
    I did measure the voltage sent to the cell as 24 Volts DC;
    I believe the voltage is constant, but have no way to say for sure;
    User guide here; (I will gladly remove the link if I've violated forum rules!)
  • The recommended salt concentration is 600 to 800 ppm and TA of 80 ppm;
  • Cell: Hayward T-Cell-5
    3 years old, cleaned a couple of weeks ago, and appears Ok visually;
  • I'm in the process of lowering TA to 50 ppm and raising CYA to 30 ppm;

My questions:
  • I've seen most units being sold currently recommend higher salt concentrations, eg 2000 to 3000 ppm;
    I've also read that running a cell with too low a salt concentration can shorten its useful life;
    Would it make any sense for me to run with a higher salt concentration?
    Say around 1000, 1500 or even 2000 ppm?
  • Would this not reduce the on time required for a given chlorine production quantity?
  • Can anyone say if running 24 volts thru these Hayward cells is typical?, low?, high?

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:
The amount of salt in the water does not change the output of the SWG. If the SWG is happy and making good chlorine then life is good. It will give a low salt warning when more salt is needed.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.