Chlorine high, water getting greener

Aug 10, 2016
issaquah, wa
I am brand new to this fab site and as I'm reading through I realize I need to get an upgraded test kit, but also see that time is of the essence when nipping algae in the bud. That said, I don't have a chemical reading to post, other than noting my CHLORINE is off the chart HIGH. My water was well on the way to sparkling, but started to get cloudy and overnight algae has settled on the sides, bottom and steps. Comes off easily with a wire brush, suspends in the water and is green - cloudy enough now that I cannot not see the bottom of the 11' deep end. Is there anything I can do while I wait for my new test kit to arrive? Should I drain some water and add fresh? Is there a definite consensus on the best test kit and where to buy?

thanks in advance for any advice/input!!

While waiting for a TF-100 you could always get some test strips for a quick check. Make sure it has tests for Free Chlorine (FC) and Cyanuric Acid (CYA). They won't be nears as accurate as the TF-100. I would be interested in what the CYA reading is. If your CYA gets too high, the FC won't work as well and you need to keep it higher or drain the pool to lower the CYA. Don't buy anything else but bleach until you get your test no matter what a store might say.

i have the K-2006 on order - I was able to find quicker shipping than the TF-100. I am brushing and adding 1 gallon of 8.25% daily and the water seems to be going from green to more of a yellow. The "yellow" is like a dusting on the sides and bottom. I'm also assuming that I need to leave the pump running 24/7 and don't need to be changing the filter out?

Don't waste your money on strips. They are nearly worthless. You can get an HTH 6-way drop test from Wal Mart. It's no substitute for one of the recommended kits, as it only measures FC up to 5ppm. But it does contain a CYA test and will get you started until your real kit arrives.

If your chlorine is "off the chart high", how did you measure it? Because if the chlorine really is high and the water is still green, chances are good that your CYA is also off the chart high. Been using pucks long?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
If your chlorine is "off the chart high", how did you measure it? Because if the chlorine really is high and the water is still green, chances are good that your CYA is also off the chart high. Been using pucks long?

I have a very simple test kit (my K-2006 is supposed to arrive on Tuesday) so understand that my test results are not all that accurate yet. Also, I haven't tested again since I first started this string as the advice was to brush and add 8.25% bleach daily. I do keep pucks in the pool - 2 at a time until they dissolve and then do 2 fresh ones.

- - - Updated - - -

Don't waste your money on strips. They are nearly worthless. You can get an HTH 6-way drop test from Wal Mart. It's no substitute for one of the recommended kits, as it only measures FC up to 5ppm. But it does contain a CYA test and will get you started until your real kit arrives.

Ugh - local Walmarts are all out of stock on this HTH 6-Way :( Shoot! Thanks though!!

I suspect that your test results are going to show "off the chart high" CYA due to puck usage, as pucks add CYA to the water as well as chlorine. CYA doesn't dissipate, so - over time - continually adding CYA will begin to render your "off the chart high" chlorine level ineffective. If you've read much on the board, you'll see that the only way to mitigate high CYA is with water replacement, so you can may begin thinking about what is/isn't feasible in your area (water restrictions, etc.).

Keep adding bleach and brushing daily. Once you get the test kit, post results and you'll be clean and clear in no time flat. In the meantime, if you see a sale on bleach, I would stock up!

You found your "problem" already! Good job! You should only be using liquid chlorine/bleach. I have some links that I set up for new TFP owners:

Print these out:
Pool School - Basic Pool Care Schedule

Pool School - Recommended Levels

Bookmark these:
Pool School - Recommended Pool Chemicals

http://www.troublefreepool.com/calc.html

Pool School - ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry

Make sure to ask any and all questions you might have no matter how small! We have all been where you are at one point.

It is a lot of info but it will all start to make sense when you start using it. One of the links tells you what we use in our pools. Now do not go out and buy everything on it as most people do not use all of it.

You do need to find your best/cheapest source for chlorine/bleach. Walmart for bleach (plain,unscented, store brand) or pool store of chlorine. It is the same stuff just different %

:kim:

I don't think my last reply posted?? Sorry if this is a repeat....got the much-anticipated test kit (was late/lost in transit)

Here are my test results:
CYA = 50 ppm
TA = 125 ppm
PH = 7.5
FC = 8.2 ppm
CC = .4 ppm
CH= 320 ppm

I have been running the pump 24/7, adding 1 gallon 8.25% bleach daily and brushing brushing brushing. The water is a yellowish green and clear to about 6' deep.

I will read up on what to do next, but wanted to post the numbers as soon as I had them incase anyone is following this string and has advice/input. Thank you so much!!!:D:wave:

I don't think my last reply posted?? Sorry if this is a repeat....got the much-anticipated test kit (was late/lost in transit)

Here are my test results:
CYA = 50 ppm
TA = 125 ppm
PH = 7.5
FC = 8.2 ppm
CC = .4 ppm
CH= 320 ppm

I have been running the pump 24/7, adding 1 gallon 8.25% bleach daily and brushing brushing brushing. The water is a yellowish green and clear to about 6' deep.

I will read up on what to do next, but wanted to post the numbers as soon as I had them incase anyone is following this string and has advice/input. Thank you so much!!!:D:wave:

your numbers look OK, except TA but it can wait, don't worry abut it now.

Can you measure overnight FC loss: measure FC in the evening after sunset and then- in the morning before sunlight hits the pool. The pool shouldn't have any chlorine sources during the test, even bleach- the point of the test to see if FC is spent on killing algae.

Where the fill water comes from- city/well/truck? Do you know if it has high iron content?

Please post picture of the water preferably in daylight facing stairs or another feature with gradual depth view.

your numbers look OK, except TA but it can wait, don't worry abut it now.

Can you measure overnight FC loss: measure FC in the evening after sunset and then- in the morning before sunlight hits the pool. The pool shouldn't have any chlorine sources during the test, even bleach- the point of the test to see if FC is spent on killing algae.

Where the fill water comes from- city/well/truck? Do you know if it has high iron content?

Please post picture of the water preferably in daylight facing stairs or another feature with gradual depth view.

Yes - I sure can do the evening/morning FC test.

I'm on city water, but not sure of the iron content. I've never heard anything negative about it?

Will post pics momentarily. Sun is setting so it was hard to capture. If they aren't helpful, I'll try again tomorrow afternoon for some better ones!

THANKS!

- - - Updated - - -

May I suggest using the 10ml sample for your FC/CC tests. The directions are on the inner lid of your kit. It will help you save on reagents. 1 heaping scoop of powder is almost always enough for the test.

Awesome! Thanks for the tip :)!!

You got lucky! Your CYA is not too high!

So how is your water looking? Take and share a picture so we know where you are in clearing it. That will tell me what to tell you to do next. I am thinking you will need to SLAM.

Did you have fun doing the tests?

:kim:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.