2nd Pool... 1st time attempting to maintain it....we'll see how long that lasts :P

Name is Dan and we are in Phoenix... just finished building our new pool. We had one before, but I never maintained it (had a pool guy) I'm going to attempt to maintain this one and my buddy Andrew said to check out this forum. I'm pretty familiar with water chemistry and algae control from maintaining my reef fish tanks (currently dry). I think I can pick up on this, but my main concern is time... During my busy season (spring through fall) I'm working very long hours and weekends with very little time off, so I'm hoping this can be less time consuming than I am thinking it could be (one of the reasons i'm not maintaining a reef right now). Anyways... this is my intro... so here's my new pool and putting green.

Attachments

• 2016-08-09 18.20.09.jpg
    2016-08-09 18.20.09.jpg
    94.2 KB · Views: 19
  • 2016-08-06 07.40.04.jpg
    2016-08-06 07.40.04.jpg
    93 KB · Views: 19
It was just filled on Saturday of last week, so I haven't developed a regimen yet. I have a start up kit from the pool builder that has liquid chlorine/shock, muriatic Acid, a small tub of chlorine tabs (I bought a big tub) and some test strips. The pool is 80ft perimeter, 358 surface area 10740 Gallons, pebble sheen interior, Eco-Smart in floor cleaning system, deckclor system, ozonator, Hayward 330' Cartridge filter, Hayward 1.8HP VSP.

Okie doke... well.. your best friend for pool care is a proper test kit. "Guess Stips" aren't very useful and can be downright inaccurate. We only recommend two- the TF-100 or the Taylor K-2006, both avail from TFTestkits.net or from Amazon. The proper testing will save you time and money and help you only put in your water that which it needs and nothing else. You also need precise numbers for the following test elements:
FC
CC
pH
TA
CH
CYA

Your pool being new is going to require close monitoring of the pH, CH, TA for a few months as the plaster cures.

You shouldn't count on the ozone system to contribute much considering you still have to use chlorine in the pool. Ozone systems are more suited for indoor pools.

Good Read --> Pool School - Start-up New Plaster