New Pool Start - Fontana, CA - Copping & Stone began 10/8, sort of completed 10/25

JDLT11

Jun 27, 2016
Fontana, CA
New Pool Start - Fontana, CA - Copping & Stone began 10/8, sort of completed 10/25

Hi,

New to the forum but looking for any advice on my pool build! Learning a ton from this forum.

We agreed to go with this PB primarily based on reviews and overall value (Cost).

Free Form Pool IG 15x30 (Peanut Shape with straight back) 30 inch raised beam.
Baja Step
Perimeter aprox. 77 Ft
Depth 3.5 to 5.5ft
Spa 8 feet Round (7 Jets - 2 multilevel)
2 Sheer Decents 18" Dedicated 1/2HP Pump
2 Deep Heat Lines

Equipment: (All Pentair)
VS 3HP 8 Speed Pump
0.5HP for Sheer Descents
Clean and Clear filter 420
400k BTU Gas Heater
Salt Water - IC60
Automation - 8 station (Phone Capable)
Coping Options of: Pre-Cast, Flagstone - Would love advice on this.
Stacked Ledger Stone for raised bom beam about 34 feet
Plaster - Bright White - Any good reason to go to other materials?
Vac Line included but no Vac - Recommendations?
Cascading teardrop spa spillway
2 Umbrella Sleeves (one in spa other in baja step)

Signed contract late last week all advice welcome here is an image of the proposed pool.

We will also add decking colored tan smooth finish, and a covered patio on the side will have about a 20x20 area.. Moving the whole side wall as well as we would gain about 4-5 feet along the side of the house. HOA approved already!

De La Torre- Norb_005.jpgDe La Torre- Norb_003.jpg

Thanks!

Re: New Pool Start - Fontana, CA

Looks pretty good to me. But then I'm a Pentair kind of guy.. :D

I like the idea of going with the IC60, instead of the IC40, I like going with the EasyTouch 8 instead of 4, I like the ScreenLogic (Phone app).

The only thing I would change is that I'd go with the bigger 520 filter instead of your 420. The bigger the filter the less often you will have to clean it.

I like the idea of a dedicated vacuum line, in case you ever need it, but would recommend you buy a Robot instead of a pump powered cleaner.

Very nice looking pool. Just make sure your get your TF100 test kit before the pool is finished, so you can start taking care of your pool from the get-go.

Jim R.

Good looking pool!

All this is a matter of opinion and personal preference but since you asked...

You may want to consider increasing the depth of the baja from the wall out into the pool a bit. It's not structural so if you change it a bit it should not trigger a change in plans or drawings submitted for permits. What we did was buy the furniture we intended to use on the shelf before they came out to do the marker paint on the dirt and made adjustments at that time. I was also there when they shot the gunite and was able to have them move the entry steps a few inches as they were sculpting them for maximum space on the shelf.

Consider moving the first entry step onto the baja nearer the third step. When getting in & out it may be more convenient if you don't have to walk across the shelf especially if there is a lounger in the way.

If I had my pool to do over again i would have gone 4' in the shallow end would have been more comfortable standing depth for adults.

If by bright white plaster you mean standard plaster we decided to to with a quartz product due to increased longevity but if the water is maintained using a good kit, no reason you will not exceed the average useful life of normal plaster.

Good looking pool!

All this is a matter of opinion and personal preference but since you asked...

You may want to consider increasing the depth of the baja from the wall out into the pool a bit. It's not structural so if you change it a bit it should not trigger a change in plans or drawings submitted for permits. What we did was buy the furniture we intended to use on the shelf before they came out to do the marker paint on the dirt and made adjustments at that time. I was also there when they shot the gunite and was able to have them move the entry steps a few inches as they were sculpting them for maximum space on the shelf.

Consider moving the first entry step onto the baja nearer the third step. When getting in & out it may be more convenient if you don't have to walk across the shelf especially if there is a lounger in the way.

If I had my pool to do over again i would have gone 4' in the shallow end would have been more comfortable standing depth for adults.

If by bright white plaster you mean standard plaster we decided to to with a quartz product due to increased longevity but if the water is maintained using a good kit, no reason you will not exceed the average useful life of normal plaster.
Thanks, have two girls 5 & 7yrs old.. think 4ft would be too deep for next 2yrs.. definitely look to expand the shelf a bit too. Good tip on the steps.

Alrighty! If you're going with who we discussed, be sure to go over fine details right now... (exact location of the light, exact locations of peanut apexes from say the house etc., exact location and depth of the spa jets, exact location of the spa step, exact area and location of equipment base, all with precise measurements). Be careful in selecting flagstone... I've heard #1) they like to go with cheap flagstone (which will quickly erode) and #2) people have selected 1 stone and recieved a cheaper version of it from them.

For the baja reef, take a chair out there, draw the pool, and take a sit around and see what is comfortable. We fiddled around with ours until we came up with our medium size. We also designed the steps for ours as the PB simply could not figure out how to design them aside from adding random curves around.

Get ahead with the project and start going to rock yards to select your exact stacked stone. We selected our stone early on and had it delivered on time etc. with no delay (including hand selecting the flagstone). The PB stated that often the biggest delay is the owner not having selected stone before it's time for the stone and things get held up. If you're on top of things, you'll be waiting for them and pushing them, not vice versa :)

Alrighty! If you're going with who we discussed, be sure to go over fine details right now... (exact location of the light, exact locations of peanut apexes from say the house etc., exact location and depth of the spa jets, exact location of the spa step, exact area and location of equipment base, all with precise measurements). Be careful in selecting flagstone... I've heard #1) they like to go with cheap flagstone (which will quickly erode) and #2) people have selected 1 stone and recieved a cheaper version of it from them.

For the baja reef, take a chair out there, draw the pool, and take a sit around and see what is comfortable. We fiddled around with ours until we came up with our medium size. We also designed the steps for ours as the PB simply could not figure out how to design them aside from adding random curves around.

Get ahead with the project and start going to rock yards to select your exact stacked stone. We selected our stone early on and had it delivered on time etc. with no delay (including hand selecting the flagstone). The PB stated that often the biggest delay is the owner not having selected stone before it's time for the stone and things get held up. If you're on top of things, you'll be waiting for them and pushing them, not vice versa :)
Appreciate all your feedback, and yes we are going with your same PB.. what locations did you look at for your stone at?

Thanks!

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Check your PM's, but yeah, Thompson Building Materials in Fontana. They have other locations but I believe Fontana is their largest (Wilmington might be). They didn't have the wall caps we are using but their Orange location did. We went there, picked out the caps, and then they were delivered to Fontana for delivery (with a little finagling in the order paperwork). They have a pretty good selection of a lot of materials and you can walk out through the yard to look at everything. Take a look at the actual palettes in the yard and not just the 'showroom'!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support

26dcb038ff7fcbf2ab9db7d62e13535b.jpg

The demo is going to take some work for sure! Are you going to try to keep any of the plants? Where are you putting the playset?

:kim:
All plants are coming out will only leave a bout a 2ft planter along the wall just enough for some wall climbing plants.. playset will be given away.. placing in garage for thw short time

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.