New Pool Start - Fontana, CA - Copping & Stone began 10/8, sort of completed 10/25

Re: New Pool Start - Fontana, CA

That's the dig crew we had. Guys were pretty good.
Yes good so far.. Islas & Sons..

Day one progress
f1ade0164e70ca0843c677df6b4dc582.jpg

Slight problem with the position of the pool on the back wall. We wanted the pool to be 5ft alo g the back wall and measuring yesterday after the dig was done we find it to be about 6ft on the shallow end and 5ft on the spa side
What should we do?

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Is your pool the correct size? Is your pool lined up with the house instead? Think about those questions then think about what you want done. There are many things that can be done at this point.

:kim:

Is your pool the correct size? Is your pool lined up with the house instead? Think about those questions then think about what you want done. There are many things that can be done at this point.

Looks like it was aligned to the house.. correct size just really wanted as much room o. The house side and not on the back wall.. small yard.. I will talk to the PB tomorrow morning and see what options I have, wish they had asked if we wanted to align to the house or the back wall..

Now I can see and know what you wanted. It should be easy to fix. What are you going to put around the pool?

Are you going to have to do anything special for the windows and door with the pool right there? I have heard of the inspectors saying shatter proof glass or such. Better to know.

Now I can see and know what you wanted. It should be easy to fix. What are you going to put around the pool?

Are you going to have to do anything special for the windows and door with the pool right there? I have heard of the inspectors saying shatter proof glass or such. Better to know.

Great question about the windows and door as nothing has been mentioned.. had about 5 bids and nobody raised that point.

I will ask around.

Thanks

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Good luck getting ahold of them on Monday... we'll be doing the same to verify our 'cleanup crew' is coming on Tuesday (we suspect Wednesday as there's no way the stone people can finish in one (5 hour, mind you) day).

Check your plans (in the folder or email etc.)... if there's one thing I know this PB likes to say it's "In the contract" or "the plans". If it's 5ft from the wall and not the house, make your case... but be sure and firm with what you want (either way). They'll bring in the boss and other people and then all say "Well, the way it's dug now looks better because of X,Y,Z"... if you want it to the wall (and it's like that in the plans) be sure you're firm about it.

As far as I know, our project 'manager' is out until later this week... we've been working with the owner. Don't fret to talk with him if need be... (I don't know if you have the same 'manager' as I do.

It's a long road, be ready to deal with little things like this day after day. I will say this being we have stone going on right now, it'll look GREAT when it's finished!

Cheers

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support

Spoke to the PB this AM and were fine with looking to send the excavation team back out to re-form the pool to specs.. we also had some collateral damage on the house bottom stucco was damaged in 2 spots and PB will fix.. So far so good, we will see what the excavation team does..

GEOSAGE - Diff project manager - been dealing with a gal and a guy as well.. had a brief discussion with the owner when we picked out the copping at their place..

Pending question as we are moving to do Travertine Copping is to either go with 12x24 or 4x12 pieces.. like the bigger pieces but due to the curves 4x12 might be better.. Option is to cut the 12x24's to 12x12's.. Spa is going to be all 4x12's due to it circular shape.

Thanks!

Re: New Pool Start - Fontana, CA - Dig started 8/26

That is something we made a point about in our coping. Our stone has been chiseled to a curve and it does look pretty good (for our style). We stated we wanted the edge to be a smooth circle, not an octagon. It comes down to what style you want.

Just to be on the safe side, record that they stated they would repair what they said they would.

What finish of travertine are you looking at? Any style will look great :-D

That is something we made a point about in our coping. Our stone has been chiseled to a curve and it does look pretty good (for our style). We stated we wanted the edge to be a smooth circle, not an octagon. It comes down to what style you want.

Just to be on the safe side, record that they stated they would repair what they said they would.

What finish of travertine are you looking at? Any style will look great :-D
Yeah don't want the octagon either but wife but want the smooth bull nose finish. We are going good with noce 5c 2 inch copping.

New Pool Start - Fontana, CA - Dig started 8/26

Going to look nice. Pretty close to the house. Our pool builder is from Rancho.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The dig crew came yesterday and they fixed the back part of the pool. We're schedule to have the rebar done tomorrow.

Now is time to decide on the coping. We're thinking of going with travertine, but are undecided between the 3cm or 5cm because of the price difference. Any recommendations???

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Re: New Pool Start - Fontana, CA - Rebar Completed 9/3

Thanks, its a $2,500 upgrade... We like it although it seems a bit took steep of an upgrade from 3cm..

wow.. they ding you hard for that... as if they are not giving you any credit for the 3cm, that's crazy... to give you an idea... just go to a stone store and ask them how thick their travertine (or any stone) coping is... usually 5cm for coping.. just less than 2 inches.. if you were to pour cement, I think they usually pour 3 inches for the coping... 3cm is only about 1.2 inches.. I 'm using pavers and they are 1.75 inches... so even at that I am a bit less than standard coping.. but I wanted 16"x24" coping pieces and the coping is 12x24 usually.

Re: New Pool Start - Fontana, CA - Rebar Completed 9/3

I personally like the thicker coping... it makes the pool... I don't know... more 'bold'. Thinner stuff may look 'cheap'? Not to say the travertine will not look awesome.

Have you been down to Thompson (or wherever you're looking) and asked for the 'best price' they can give you or even just the 'contractors price'? We spoke with the guys at the contractors desk (not the 'showroom' (they didn't even have the contractor discount codes)) and they gave us a good price on the material we used (much cheaper than what the PB would have gotten)... we then had the material all ready to go and sent the order slip to the PB and then she processed it and gave us a 'change order' where we agreed to pay the difference on the tonnage ordered from their allowance (I just checked, it was $450 a ton for coping). I assume your contract is set up similar, but, who knows.

Rightfully so, we went with flagstone and not travertine pavers... so the price could be not as negotiable... but you never know.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.