Trouble with fine brown type of dirt

gmike09

Bronze Supporter
Aug 10, 2016
Atlanta, Ga
Hello everyone. After 3 months (long story) I am finally able to start maintaining my pool. I know there were days where the FC levels have either been 0 or very close to 0 as I have been testing with strips. So far, the pool has been pretty clear to a point where I can see the shallow end clearly and barely the deep end (8ft) floor. The only visual issue is a fine dirt like material on the pool floor. Please see the pics. This dirt like subatance doesnt feel slimy and it doesnt feel grainy as others have described. I reallt don't know what this stuff is. It does dissipate rather easily if I brush the general area or splash near the area. Ive tried vaccuming to waste only for this dirt to show up the next morning. Leslie's pool mentioned that I may have metals in the pool and tried to sell a metal out liquid even though my iron ppm is 0. Right now I don't have the tf100 or k2006 test kit and will be ordering tomorrow. My test according to aquacheck 7 test strip are the below. Do any of you all have an idea what I may be experiencing and how to fix?

Hardness 250 Tc 5 Fc 5 Ph 7.8 Ta 120 cya 70ish 20160810_140912.jpg20160810_093210.jpg20160805_082836.jpg20160804_141903.jpg

For the last few days it has been running 24 hours. I have backwashed the filter when the pressure of the filter goes above 25 PSI without any real luck. Although I have had this dirt stuff in the pool for weeks, could algae cause something like this if the chlorine is working? A few days ago, I did try and shock the pool per the pool math calculator by adding 7 121oz bottles of 8.25 strength bleach since my chlorine level fc/tc reached 0 and had a hard time increasing. If it helps the first picture was taken this afternoon, 2nd picture this morning, 3rd pic On Sunday and last pic on last Friday..

I am thinking I will need to SLAM. So far, the pool is finally clearing up after adding bleach. I didn't think the water could get any clearer. I will do the OCLT and possibly SLAM the pool once I get a reliable pool test kit. Thanks!!!!

It was a combination of both. SLAMing the pool allowed me to see what was really down there. Come to find out besides the dirt there was a ton of nails and dead leaves. I ended up attaching a filter bag to to the pool outlets to get the dirt out.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.