I'm convinced on salt but what about heat?

Aug 10, 2016
San Antonio, TX
Thanks all for your replies to my post about going with salt water pool. You have convinced me that this is the right option. Now I'm considering heating options. I'll start by saying I'm not considering gas because there are no lines in my area and they'd have to bury a tank. Therefore I've been looking at various electric heat pumps by Hayward which claim to be economical and effective for pools under 13,000 gallons such as the Hayward HP50HA. My installer says this upgrade will run me about $1900 but would keep the pool warm in the Spring and Fall seasons. I live in San Antonio Texas where the temps stay fairly warm. See below photo of highs/lows. san antonio temps.JPG I've searched the forums regarding heating options but haven't really seen anything regarding heat pumps in areas like San Antonio, only in colder climates. I'd love any feedback you can give me. Also, I'd consider solar but I already have 42 regular solar panels being installed on my roof so no room for pool solar heating up there!

Thanks!
Amy

Amy,

I do not have a heater so take my advise with a grain of salt..

I suspect that running a pool heat pump would be about a costly as running your AC each month, maybe more. Unless you have some kind of pool cover all the heat will disappear at night. I am just to darn lazy to screw with a pool cover.

OK, Let's see what people that have heat pumps have to say...

Jim R.

Can't answer about heat pumps - If you can find a way to put in even a small solar system it helps a lot in a sunny area.

I have a cheap above ground pool solar heater - i think it's 2'X20' - maybe $150. Totally worth it if you can find a little sliver of roof or side yard to mount it to.

Oh, I would have to agree on solar. Interesting that you are putting solar electric panels in. I have them too on my west facing roof. My east facing roof has the solar for the pool. I would make room for it. Heating a pool with electricity will markedly offset your solar electric panels. Really expensive way to go. I would rethink this.

A solar cover will make a big difference in spring and fall to hold in heat overnight and get the pool warmed up quickly. I'd start there and add a heat pump later if you need it. A thin 8mil cheap cover is all you need.

If you have a roof or someplace to put solar, consider that 1st. I am very pleased with ours. About the same price as heater but no monthly cost. 1st option though that many swear by is a solar cover already mentioned. We don't have one since the solar panels work so well. The only time that we have found the solar to not work as well is when it is raining alot (like most of the day) and it never kicks on. We are not really swimming at those times anyway.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.