How should I proceed with my pool?

Aug 10, 2016
Boston, MA
Hi all,

Recently opened our pool after being closed for two years. It was a swamp to say the least... I went ahead and shocked the pool significantly last week and added algaecide as recommended by my local pool store.

I purchased a Taylor K-2006 and did my first round of testing today. Here are the results:

• PH - Greater than 8, acid demand was 2 drops to get it down to 7.4ish.
  • TA - 80PPM
  • CH - 20PPM
  • CYA - Less than 30PPM, which was the minimum readable amount. Could still see the black dot with it full.
  • FC - 1.4PPM
  • CC - 0.8PPM

CYA is probably on its way up, I added about 2.5 lbs of stabilizer last weekend.

Pool is a 18ft above ground, about 48" high. Filter is a Hayward Perflex, not sure on the size though.

Is it ok to go swimming with these results? I want to make sure, since we have a 1 year old.

Secondly, what should be the order of approach for getting it back into spec? From my reading, I'm thinking I should SLAM the pool, but im not sure if my levels of CC are high enough to warrant it.

Thank you!

I would say no. Especially with a 1 year old. You need to get chlorine in that pool. Regular liquid bleach is the easiest way to go (do not get scented or splashless) You need to begin SLAMMING your pool.

If you haven't, please read Pool School - TFP Home Page

Your will need to follow the SLAM instructions Pool School - SLAM - Shock Level And Maintain Your need to keep you chlorine level at SLAM level until your water is clean, OCLT is less than 1 and CC is less than 0.5.

You should not swim until your chlorine level is above minimum and below SLAM level (3-11). You also need to be able to see the bottom of the pool to swim safely.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.