About Time

blata

Aug 4, 2016
ellisville, MO
Hello, Heres a story of the miss adventures of my first pool.

I opened my pool mid April of 2016 after moving in last November. Not knowing any better I filled the pool from the returns to the midline of the skimmer and started to use the Clorox powder and three inch tabs in the pool. This was ok until there was a storm the last week of April and I was laid up and couldn't get out to get all of the tree parts and dead toads out of the pool. This caused the pool to turn a lovely shade of pea green. Still not knowing any better I took samples to Leslies and continued to dump powder and tabs into the pool. Not blaming anybody but myself my numbers were decent FC 10, ph 7.2, and a CYA of 99. I learned that this was high but manageable. So I continued to dump in Powder and tabs. I also used Phos-Free and algaecide to manage what was going on.20160513_111914.jpg. Despite my follies I was able to get the pool clear by June because I floc'ed the pool and took that opportunity to change the sand the spider in the filter. This didn't make things much better because now I was able to see all of the mettle staining. But since I was leaving for a week it seamed like a good opportunity to let the FC drop and use a stain release to get rid of all of the stains in the liner. Well come early July the stains were gone but the pool was green again. Come August and at my wits end I got a k-2006 test kit and started to be precise with my testing. I also learned about stabilizer and just exactly I was putting into the pool. The most important thing I learned was that after just completing an 18" water dump and refile my CYA level was really 300. So I figured "Whats $50 at this point" and added a bag of Bio-Active. Following the instructions to the T and maintaining FC of 2-3 twice a day I was able to drop the CYA to ~200 in five days.

At this point my wife said just get it Sanitary as school is about to start and we have company coming tomorrow for a week. After checking the CYA best guess chart I poured in enough bleach to brig it up to 15ppm. Again checking twice a day the FC would drop to 13/13.5 and I would bring it back to 15. Well after one day the pool was blue and after two more days and three nights the pool is now so clear that it's hard to tell theres water in it.
20160808_103529.jpgIf you can see it I also made an aerator out of some pvc, in front of the beach ball, and took the opportunity to get the TA down with Muriatic.

You have escaped from the Dark Side. Welcome to the clear, bright world of TFP. We are happy to assist converts to the simple way! Add your details to your signature, please, ( settings, on the left) so we can have a better idea of what you - and us- will be fighting to correct. Pools are ridiculously easy to take care of the TFP way.

Blata,

So, does this mean that you have left your Pool Store Days behind and are now a full believer in the TFP way, or were you just lucky???

Jim R.
Well bleach from Costco, and Muratic from HD, and a pvc aerator so I guess so. :)

Blata,

hat is your CYA now? 200 way to high
Just checked cya and it is a second test at ~240 ( 4:1 dilution and comes out about 48-49 on the cya scale). The goal was get the pool usable for company and finish dealing with the 240 lbs gorilla later.
Add your details to your signature,

Well bleach from Costco, and Muratic from HD, and a pvc aerator so I guess so. :)

Just checked cya and it is a second test at ~240 ( 4:1 dilution and comes out about 48-49 on the cya scale). The goal was get the pool usable for company and finish dealing with the 240 lbs gorilla later.

[/COLOR]

Congrats on truly managing your pool, sounds like you know where it is, where you want it to be, when and how to get there. All it takes :).

About Time: continuing Saga

I opened my pool this year in late May (22nd ish) and was greeted to a pool of clear water with a thick green shag carpet on the bottom. About what I expected. So I filled the pool back up and started to clean the green out. This didn't last long because as I was vacuuming there were steady green jets of water coming out of the returns and the water got to murky to see what I was doing. This wasn't a problem since my primary goal was to tackle the CYA issue.

DateFCCCTAPhCYA
Mar 23 170807150
Mar 24 170807120
Mar 28 170807110
April 8 17080760

As you can see it took quite a bit of dumping and filling but I think I finally did it. As proof of my efforts, and water bill, I started to shock the pool on Saturday and in one day it looked like this

IMG_20170410_104954_01.jpg

Blue, but cloudy. Im actually looking forward to the pool this year.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.