High Pressure in Sand Filter

Hi everyone, My name is Cam, I'm a first time pool owner. I've been lurking through the forums for the last couple of days trying to find answers for my problem. I've found a few threads that eluded to my answer, but I want to make sure I'm certain on what is going on. I have a 40k vinyl ig. I'm running a centurion model pump (all important information weathered off), Triton II sand filter with a 1.5'' SM 10-3 multiport valve. The previous owners didn't shut the pool down correctly during the winter and froze some above ground piping. I've replaced a lot of the piping. I've also replaced the sand in the sand filter and the multiport valve. I have a few questions. Based on some of my research I'll offer a few prophylactic answers. I've ran the pump on recirculate and the pressure on the gauge drops to 0 -- same as when I shut the system down. The pressure out of the return jets seems normal (to a newbie), however when the pressure rises to 30psi the skimmers stop pulling in water and the return jets pressure drops significantly (to what seems to be a dribble). I backwash the filter every couple of hours and the pressure drops back down to 10psi. It slowly creeps up to 30psi. There is a significant amount of sludgy looking stuff that I vacuum up.

Now for my questions:
1. is the pressure due the sand clogging up because the filter is working and the aglae sludge is gunking the sand or did I harm the laterals when refilled the sand filter with fresh sand.
When I replaced the sand I filled the filter up half way with water before adding the sand.
2. I wasn't sure how much sand to put in the filter. I took the advice of "pool expert" I think the guy was a moron. and added 350lbs of sand but I think my model needs 450 -- based on a torn up label on the side of the filter. will not having enough sand cause a significant issue?

Thanks in advanced for the help.

Cam

You have a chemistry issue....not filter problems.

Your filter is doing exactly what you ask it to do.....filter debris from your pool water. The issue is because of lack of chlorine, you have an algae laden pool and the filter simply clogs up because it can't handle that amount of debris.

You need to SLAM the pool, clear up your water, and the filter will not have to catch so much debris so will go much longer between backwashes.

If your clean psi is 10, you should be backwashing at 13 psi.

Your pressure does not climb while in recirculate correct? Only on filter mode? Lack of sand would diminish filtering capability and capacity which may cause your pressure to rise faster. Here is a manual for your filter, measure the tank diameter to find model and sand required. http://edc.poolsupplyworld.com/wpdf/tritonii-brochure.pdf

Dave is right, your filter is working. If you have a significant amount of sludgy stuff vacuum it to waste, which bypasses the filter and be done with that stuff. You'll have to add water, but better than constant backwashing. SLAM your pool and you'll go weeks if not month or longer between backwashes.

Thanks for the tips. I will say that I understand the water chemistry response. I have been monitoring it very closely and dosing it accordingly. I'll vacuum it through the waste selection like suggested eliminate the sludge.

Can I just add more sand or is there a specific process I need to go through.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.