Hard water calcium scale question

FirstVallartaPool

Bronze Supporter
Apr 27, 2016
Puerto Vallarta mexico
OK as you can see in my sig we battle scale build up constantly here with our city water on everything from faucets to showerheads etc. However when I do a calcium hardness test with tf-100 I test a low 125 such that I need to add something [calcium chloride] to bring it up. I'm confused can someone shed some light on this?
Thanks!

Also remember that even if your fill water is only 150, CH never leaves the pool unless you exchange that water. So basically the CH in the pool keeps building higher & higher with new refills following evaporation. Your CH may be 200 in May, then grow to 250 or more by June or July depending upon how much more water was added. The only way CH itself will drop is if you drain water and replace it with "soft" water. So to compensate for the CH growing, we make sure to never let pH and/or TA get too high to keep the CSI balanced.

Because CH is not the only factor in determining scale potential. It is a combination of alkalinity, pH and CH. In the right combination CH at 150 can also leave scale. Just like it is possible for pools with CH at 1200 not to have scale with the right pH and TA. It is all about the scale potential of all of the measurements.

Test your tap water and figure out what the CSI is.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.