What to do first?

Aug 9, 2016
Houston/Texas
I just bought a house with a 17,000 gallon gunite pool. The previous owner had a pool company maintain the pool and I noticed a little algae when we toured the home. I now own the home and the algae is getting a tiny bit worse. It certainly hasn't covered all of the pools surface - it just looks like little pockets of sand on the bottom of the pool. From research here I believe it is Mustard Algae.

Here were my initial numbers:
CYA: 123
PH: 7.8
TA: 69
FC: 5
CC: .2

Entered into the calculator and did a 30% water change (afraid of the high water table - New Numbers (this morning):

CYA: 85
PH: 7.8
TA: 65
FC: 1.2
CC: .7

Note that my TFP test kit is in the mail and I am deriving the numbers from an HTH kit and the dreaded pool store testing.

So - I obviously need to SLAM the pool - but should I adjust the TA prior to doing that or just SLAM it with a monumental quantity of bleach?

Your TA is fine at this point because you don't want to make changes until you see good numbers on your test kit and also see how stable your pH is? You will want to get some Muriatic Acid on hand if you need to lower that pH. But I would hold off until your test kit arrives to be sure of the numbers. Next time you're at Wallyworld pick up one of those 4pound bags of Baking Soda they sell. You will probably need it.

Until it comes go ahead and add 1/2 gallon of bleach to the pool daily and if you can brush it that would be good.

please add a signature line describing your pool features and equipment. This helps us answer your questions better. Thanks :)

Welcome and congrats on the new pool!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.