Robotic cleaner cuts liner!!!

blsals

Jun 2, 2009
I have a Dolphin Dynamic automatic pool cleaner with a remote, last summer we noticed the water level dropping about an inch in a 3-5 day period...we looked around and found no obvious holes or plumbing leaks on the pool equipment, so we had to have a diver with a sonar device in the pool to locate the problem, after running the sonar in the pool, they were able to find to tiny slits were the wall and floor meet in the pool. Now I have called the manufacture but they are hopeless...Has anyone had a problem were a robot cleaner damages a liner??? I have noticed this model is no-longer on their website, yet the product can still be found at many stores including Costco...

Welcome to TFP!!

Yes! the 'tank tread' robotic cleaners can do quite a job of wrecking a liner :hammer: From what I've seen with TigerSharks and Dolphins, it's usually due to a wrinkle in the liner or some other protrusion that they continually pass over. I have yet to see rips or holes caused by one, but the liner pattern can quickly be removed by the robot :( The tread should be soft enough to not tear through the liner, but with a pebble or uneven wall seam, the pattern will 'fade to white' in as little as a season - was there anything behind the liner where the tears were?

Please note that ANY automatic pool cleaner can potentially damage a liner, especially the Baracuda style automatic vac. If there is a sharp stone, piece of glass, sharp piece of plastic, etc. in your pool it can sometimes get stuck to the automatic cleaner and then the automatic cleaner will drag it around your liner for you. If you are going to use an automatic cleaner always take note of what is in the pool first.

Hey Kevin, welcome to TFP!!

I'm looking forward to sharing some threads with you on the "how to... 'industry' stuff" 8)

I don't want to hi-jack this thread - could you post an intro here ?"introduce yourself This way we can discuss what kinds of pools you do and share experiences :)

It's always a pleasure to have industry experts here! I'm just trying to 'feel you out' for how you could help me with the pools I work on :-D

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.