Algae problem

TRW

May 19, 2009
So Cal
Hello TFP,
Here's my problem, I am getting algae but not alot at this point, I have adding chlorine to the shock level and the FC levels maintain for a day or two and then go down slightly from day to day, I have brushed my pool to remove the algae and it comes back a day or two later. Do I need to purchase a shock product? or am I doing something wrong.

FC- 10+
PH- 7.8
TA- 110
CYA- 45
CH- 425

Help.

TRW said:
...adding chlorine to the shock level and the FC levels maintain for a day or two and then go down slightly from day to day, I have brushed my pool to remove the algae and it comes back a day or two later. Do I need to purchase a shock product? or am I doing something wrong.
FC- 10+
PH- 7.8
TA- 110
CYA- 45
CH- 425
Does this mean that you maintain the pool at shock value for 2-3 days or just bring it to shock value, the chlorine drifts down for a few days then the algae's back?

Regular or Ultra bleach is all that you need to bring the pool to shock level and maintain it at that level. Shock level must be maintained for 2-3 days to kill the algae, and the pool brushed every day.

What are you using to test the water?
How much higher than 7.8 was the PH before you shocked?

-Chlorine works better at low PH your PH level will generally read high at high chlorine levels.

Thanks for the reply fuzzy, I use the Taylor K-2005 test kit with a max chlorine reading of 10 which it has been over that for at least 2 days. Posible I am not maintaining a shock level for long enough. From my understanding on the shocking of pools is that if there is a Algae problem the FC would be used up within a couple of hours. Is this correct?

At the start of fighting algae, the FC level will fall very quickly. But towards the end the FC level might fall very slowly even though there is still a little algae left. When the pool is full of algae all the chlorine vanishes right away. But when there is just a little bit of algae hiding in a chlorine resistant bio-film somewhere then only a little chlorine will be used up.

TRW said:
Thanks for the reply fuzzy, I use the Taylor K-2005 test kit with a max chlorine reading of 10 which it has been over that for at least 2 days. Posible I am not maintaining a shock level for long enough. From my understanding on the shocking of pools is that if there is a Algae problem the FC would be used up within a couple of hours. Is this correct?
Shocking the pool is bringing the chlorine level up to shock level and maintaing it at that level until the FC drops less than 1.0 overnight and the CC is less than 0.5.

With the K-2005 you can't tell how high you have the chlorine level over 10. With a CYA reading of 45 (K-2005 reads 40 or 50 but not 45?) the shock level should be from 16-20 :!:
That's why we recommend either the K-2006 or the TF-100 (@ http://www.tftestkits.net/index.php?act=viewCat&catId=2 ).

From your description you are
a) Not bringing the level of the pool to a shock value, which is based off of the CYA level of the pool ( http://www.troublefreepool.com/pool-school/chlorine_cya_chart_shock ).
b) Not keeping the shock level sustained until either...
1. CC level is 0.5 or less or
2. FC drops less than 1.0 in an overnight test (evening to morning, without sun on the pool), AND
3. Clear water for 2-3 consecutive days.

With algae, you have to keep the chlorine at the shock level for 2-3 days, otherwise the "Meenie Greenie" guy is going to haunt you... You've zapped the algae to some extent, but since you are not at shock value (?) and not maintaining the shock value it's coming back...

You are doing the right things, just need to make some tweaks/adjustments in your processes! 8)

Well I got my TF-100 kit on Monday and continued my quest to be algae free, so here is where I am at. Held FC level at shock 17ppm, checking and adding every hour or so for Tuesday & Wednesday checked FC on Wednesday night 17ppm & 0ppm CC, checked it again Thursday morning & FC 16ppm & CC 0ppm had about 15 kids swimming all day Thursday and did another check FC 12ppm & CC .5ppm, checked again this morning FC 10ppm & CC .5ppm. Should I be concerned or I'm over the hump on the algae issue or is it to early to celebrate? :cheers:

FC-10
CC-.5
TC-10.5
PH-7.5
TA-100
CYA-40
CH-425

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Shocking is a process that is complete when......

1. Your pool water is sparkling
2. Your CC's are .5ppm or less
3. You can hold your FC overnight without losing more than 1ppm.

It looks to me like you have met all three criteria and are ready for a troublefree summer. :-D

Keep your chlorine at adequate levels and you will have no more water problems. Congratulations.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.