Can't keep chlorine in pool

May 31, 2009
We just opened our 24ft round above ground pool. We can not keep chlorine levels at a normal number. Water is crystal clear and ther is no visible algea in pool. Tested water last night at 9:00pm number were FC-2,Ph-7.5, Alk-125-130 Cal-150 and CYA 25-30. Tested again this morning and numbers were FC-0,Ph-7.5,Alk-130,Cal-150 and CYA-25-30. We use a Hayward S-166T high rate sand filter. The pool holds about 13500 gallons of water. I know that it is four feet deep with a vinyl liner. Can you tell me why chlorine levels are changing over night ?

I shocked the pool again yesterday morning at 7:00am and checkes it at 2:30pm FC_10,Ph-7.5,Alk-120, Cal-150 and CYA was 30. Tested at 7:00am this morning FC-10,Ph-7.5,Alk-120,Cal-150 and CYA- was 30. Tested again at 2:00pm and FC-10 everything else stayed the same. It has been raining most of the day. Could this be why the FC fell 5 ppm?

Sometimes, when you open in the spring, there can be a little ammonia in the pool. Until you add enough chlorine to break down the ammonia, the chlorine will just "vanish". Once the ammonia is gone, everything goes back to normal.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
missmiller said:
So should I shock it again and if so how long should I wait?

If you are holding chlorine overnight...there is no reason to "shock"...
If there are no CC...there is no reason to "shock"
If there is no algae in your pool....there is no reason to "shock"
If your water is clear...there is no reason to "shock"

From my reading of your post...your chlorine held overnight...you should be good :goodjob:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.