Mustard algae staining walls??

May 27, 2015
Fresno, CA
So I'm fairly sure I've got an outbreak of mustard algae. I thought it was dirt, pollen or some other organic material at first since we have a tree near the pool that just dump leaves into it. After doing some research though, it has all the characteristics of mustard algae--forms on ground and walls and only in shaded areas. Not quite sure how the pool became "infected". I've been using TFP method since the pool was built and it has always been meticulously maintained. However, I've since discovered that a mustard algae bloom can develop even at normal FC levels and, assuming that is indeed what this is, it has continued to spread to other areas even though I typically maintain the FC of around 7.

For awhile, I didn't think anything of it and just brushed it off. It has never had any noticeable effect on the FC levels and the pool passes OCLT. I tried to get rid of it for the past two months by occasionally bringing it up to mustard algae shock level and brushing everywhere but it has always returned. However, I've noticed lately that it no longer brushes off the walls in some areas as if it has stained them somehow. I'm currently trying to get rid of it again and even at mustard algae shock levels, I can't get the walls to come clean no matter how hard I brush them. I've attached a pic so you can get some idea of what I'm talking about but, naturally, it is in a shaded area so it is hard to see. This was taken after I finished brushing the pool down. Any ideas on how to get the walls clean? Is it possible that it has somehow stained the walls? I can handle the process of shocking and brushing the pool to get rid of the algae but not if I can't get it off the walls so the chlorine can do its job. My numbers before starting the mustard algae SLAM yesterday were as follows:

FC - 7
CC - 0
TC - 7
Ph - 7.5
TA - 90
CH - 225
CYA - 40

Here is the pic of one area near the step where it won't come off no matter how hard I brush it:

IMG_2252.jpg

So I'm fairly sure I've got an outbreak of mustard algae. I thought it was dirt, pollen or some other organic material at first since we have a tree near the pool that just dump leaves into it. After doing some research though, it has all the characteristics of mustard algae--forms on ground and walls and only in shaded areas. Not quite sure how the pool became "infected". I've been using TFP method since the pool was built and it has always been meticulously maintained. However, I've since discovered that a mustard algae bloom can develop even at normal FC levels and, assuming that is indeed what this is, it has continued to spread to other areas even though I typically maintain the FC of around 7.

For awhile, I didn't think anything of it and just brushed it off. It has never had any noticeable effect on the FC levels and the pool passes OCLT. I tried to get rid of it for the past two months by occasionally bringing it up to mustard algae shock level and brushing everywhere but it has always returned. However, I've noticed lately that it no longer brushes off the walls in some areas as if it has stained them somehow. I'm currently trying to get rid of it again and even at mustard algae shock levels, I can't get the walls to come clean no matter how hard I brush them. I've attached a pic so you can get some idea of what I'm talking about but, naturally, it is in a shaded area so it is hard to see. This was taken after I finished brushing the pool down. Any ideas on how to get the walls clean? Is it possible that it has somehow stained the walls? I can handle the process of shocking and brushing the pool to get rid of the algae but not if I can't get it off the walls so the chlorine can do its job. My numbers before starting the mustard algae SLAM yesterday were as follows:

FC - 7
CC - 0
TC - 7
Ph - 7.5
TA - 90
CH - 225
CYA - 40

Here is the pic of one area near the step where it won't come off no matter how hard I brush it:

do you pass OCLT?

try to get some ascorbic acid in a sock or trichlor tablet and rub the stain with it- it could be metal stain. Do you have iron in your water?

.......My numbers before starting the mustard algae SLAM yesterday were as follows:
There is no "mustard algae SLAM". When mustard algae is suspected, you are to complete a standard SLAM first, passing all three criteria. Once the SLAM is complete you will raise your FC to mustard shock levels for 24 hours only.

Maintaining mustard FC levels for days on end can damage pool equipment & shorten the life of a vinyl liner.

http://www.troublefreepool.com/content/148-mustard-algae

Dom

Sorry, I was being lazy. I meant the slam procedure for dealing with mustard algae which is normal slam then raising to mustard algae shock level for 24 hrs. It passed OCLT which is why I took it up to the higher mustard algae shock level. Problem is these stains aren't going away. I did try rubbing a trichlor puck in an area last night. It was too dark to see the results but I checked this morning and it does look lighter (although not gone) leading me to believe it is organic.I'm afraid if I let it return back to normal levels that the algae will just return. Any recommendations? Should I keep it at normal shock level for a few days to see if the stains go away?

Sorry, I was being lazy. I meant the slam procedure for dealing with mustard algae which is normal slam then raising to mustard algae shock level for 24 hrs. It passed OCLT which is why I took it up to the higher mustard algae shock level. Problem is these stains aren't going away. I did try rubbing a trichlor puck in an area last night. It was too dark to see the results but I checked this morning and it does look lighter (although not gone) leading me to believe it is organic.I'm afraid if I let it return back to normal levels that the algae will just return. Any recommendations? Should I keep it at normal shock level for a few days to see if the stains go away?

what test kit are you using? It would help if you could put details of your pool, equipment and test kit name into your signature, helps other members to help you.

something doesn't add up- there were no proven cases of chlorine resistant algae on this forum. There were claims but they remain just that- claims. Every time something else was identified and problem was solved. I, for one, don't understand how did you manage to start mustard algae SLAM which you define as normal SLAM + 24 hrs mustard algae FC level, pass OCLT and do all that in less in 24 hrs. My understanding it takes at least 48 hrs minimum to accomplish that and only when no FC loss is detected after the first day of the normal SLAM.

I do not believe that is mustard algae, either. I can't see anything from the pic bnut it may just be my old eyes.

So you tried a puck and perhaps some results but hard to tell.

Try the vitamin C test next, Do you know how? Post back if you need some directions.

Test kid is the tf-100. The details of my pool, equipment, etc. are in my signature in the first post. not sure why it was dropped from my reply. Maybe because I hit the "post quick reply" button?

I'm as confused as you are on why it is resistant to chlorine, hence my post. I will say that the it has gone away with the slam and mustard algae shock, but some areas are still stained and can't be removed not matter how much I brush it.

As to your last question, maybe I was not clear above. The process did take longer than 24 hours in total. First went through normal slam procedure and passed OCLT. Once that was complete, then I brought it up to mustard algae shock level for 24 hrs. It was during that time that I started this thread because I was concerned that the stains were not going away and was unsure of what I should do next

I am replying from my phone, hence the spelling errors in my last post.

It is really hard to make out the stains in the picture as they are in the shaded area by the steps. For what it's worth, they aren't openly obvious in person either. The stains look more like dull/faded yellow blotches on the walls.

I'll try vitamin c next. I think you just crush it up in a sock and hold it against the stain? Is that correct? If not, I may need some direction.

I'll try vitamin c next. I think you just crush it up in a sock and hold it against the stain? Is that correct?
Yeah, that's it. Get the cheapest vitamin C you can find....crush up about 20 or so......put it in a sock and then weight down the sock with a brick or rock on top. leave it for about 5 minutes or so. Then remove it and see if the stain is lightened or removed from that spot.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Yeah, that's it. Get the cheapest vitamin C you can find....crush up about 20 or so......put it in a sock and then weight down the sock with a brick or rock on top. leave it for about 5 minutes or so. Then remove it and see if the stain is lightened or removed from that spot.

I tried vitamin c but there was no change. I'm guessing it must be some kind of organic staining. I've continued to maintain the chlorine around normal shock level and the stains seem to be getting lighter every day. Still a little curious what caused them to appear in the first place. I have had an ongoing issue with a tree nearby that constantly dumps leaves and some sort of green berries in the pool. That may explain some of the staining on the floor but the walls too? I'm at a loss...

I tried vitamin c but there was no change. I'm guessing it must be some kind of organic staining. I've continued to maintain the chlorine around normal shock level and the stains seem to be getting lighter every day. Still a little curious what caused them to appear in the first place. I have had an ongoing issue with a tree nearby that constantly dumps leaves and some sort of green berries in the pool. That may explain some of the staining on the floor but the walls too? I'm at a loss...

nah, tree wouldn't do that- I have leafs constantly falling to my pool and getting cleaned out at the rate 1 skimmer basket a week and it never caused anything.

After keeping the pool at normal shock levels for a few days, I was able to get rid of the stains. However, within a week of bringing it back down to normal levels, the stains have returned. It is difficult to describe them other than they only appear in certain shaded areas of the pool and have a dingy yellow appearance (almost like nicotine staining you would find on the walls of someone who has smoked in their home for many years). I assume it must be some kind of organic staining as they went away by shocking the pool...but I can't constantly shock to keep them from reappearing. There has to be some explanation for what is going on. Any ideas on what it could possibly be? The pool was just put in last year and this is its first full summer we have used it so this is all a bit new to me. Current test results taken this evening are as follows:

FC - 5
CC - 0
Ph - 7.6
TA - 90
CH - 225
CYA - 40

After keeping the pool at normal shock levels for a few days, I was able to get rid of the stains. However, within a week of bringing it back down to normal levels, the stains have returned. It is difficult to describe them other than they only appear in certain shaded areas of the pool and have a dingy yellow appearance (almost like nicotine staining you would find on the walls of someone who has smoked in their home for many years). I assume it must be some kind of organic staining as they went away by shocking the pool...but I can't constantly shock to keep them from reappearing. There has to be some explanation for what is going on. Any ideas on what it could possibly be? The pool was just put in last year and this is its first full summer we have used it so this is all a bit new to me. Current test results taken this evening are as follows:

FC - 5
CC - 0
Ph - 7.6
TA - 90
CH - 225
CYA - 40

Sounds like normal algae to me. Please post pics if you can. How often do you brush? How long do you run your pump/filter daily? Has FC fallen below min level over the week?

I tried to take some pics but they don't turn out since the staining only occurs in shaded areas of the pool. FC has not fell below 5ppm this week. Last time I brushed was Friday and I have the pump running on high speed (for cleaning) from 6am to 8am and low speed from 8am to 5pm

IMG_2266.jpgIMG_2264.jpg

Ok I didn't brush this week in hope it would "build up" a little more so I take a couple pictures. Usually, I'm brushing every day to try to get rid of it. It lightens when brushing but does not completely go away even with vigorous scrubbing. Could have something to do with the fact that the plaster is porous and rough itself. The only thing that seems to get rid of it is heavy shocking...but why is it appearing in the first place when my FC is always in the 8-5 range, and has never fell below 5?? CC's are always 0 and water is crystal clear. Maybe I did to try vitamin c again while it is a little more noticeable now to see if that works.

I can't see the stain in your pics. That said, if they are not responding to chlorine, they are not organic.

I think you tried Vitamin C once and it didn't work. Did you leave it in contact with the surface for 10 minutes or so? If not, try again.

I have this exact same issue as well. I purchased my home in February and this issue was present. There was a robot vacuum so the deep floor looks ok but staining appears on the walls and shallow floor. I had 1 ppm Iron and 3 ppm copper, and it sort of seemed like it would come off with citric acid in a sock, so I let my chlorine drop and attempted a citric acid treatment. For a few days it appeared the floors were better but I may have been imagining things. I used Metal Free to remove the metals and I’ve reintroduced chlorine. The stains still look the same. I am unable to superchlorinate effectively because my CYA is around 100 so I’m wondering if that’s part of my problem. However others claim even mustard algae should be able to be brushed away. My stains can’t be brushed away so I’m still unsure if it’s algae or something else. My calcium hardness is also high at 800 ppm so I’m wondering if scaling is contributing to the problem. Let me know if you want to keep with this thread or if we should start a new one. I’m fully on board to working on a collective solution!

Tim
25,000 gallon plaster
36 sq ft DE filter, single-speed pump
FC 5 ppm
TC 5 ppm
pH 7.5
CYA 100
TA 98
CH 800
TDS 2000
Phosphates 0
Iron 0
Copper 0

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.