Baquacil -hazy pool

Lholes

Aug 9, 2016
West plains mo
I am new to owning a pool. I have a33ft above ground pool and am currently using baquacil. Because I am new at taking care of a pool, I take a sample every week to a baquacil dealer and put in exactly what they tell me to (and the expense is crazy 60-90 a week). This is the first week we have the ph level normal. However, my oxidizer level is consistently low (very low), which makes us think something is consuming it. Our water is starting to get hazy as well. I can see the bottom but it hazy. My kids have a pool party this weekend and I need suggestions on how to fix this. I also noticed a clear/white haze in the skimmer basket today..

Hello,
Welcome to TFP!!!

Two quick questions for you. First off, what is your sanitizer level? Second, what algicide are you using??

Ok, first off, please bear with me. It's been several years since I've maintained a Baqua pool. Much of what I'm going on is from memory.

The Baquacil system has three parts that work together to help fend off algae. The Sanitizer, Oxidizer, and algaecide. Let's look at what each does.

The Baqua Sanitizer and Algistat helps keeps the water free of bacteria. This needs to stay between 40-50ppm at minimum. I would always error towards the high side as it tended to bounce around frequently.

The algaecide is there to provide insurance against algae. I would suggest using the Baquacil Preformance algaecide as it works the best with the least side effects (I.E. Foaming). Follow the weekly dose on the bottle and again, I'd error on the high side just a tad. Baquacil is a pain to maintain so the more insurance you can get......the better.

Last off is likely the key in your case. The Oxidizer is the key in clearing a cloudy pool. This is what will kill any algae found in your water. The reason this level is likely frequently low is that algae is consuming the Oxidizer at a quick rate. Add this as suggested (I think it's a gallon per 10k gallons) and allow the pump to run 24/7. Check this daily until it clears up and add another dose if you test shows you are low. This is the key right now for you to focus on.

Lastly, please let us know what type of filter you have. Baqua was a pain to use with DE as it would frequently stick the powder together and cause poor filtering. It likely would do the same with sand. Backwash frequent and keep an eye on the water flow. It would commonly drop down to no flow once the water started to get cloudy due to the filter struggling to filter all the funk out. Again, clean this frequently.

Good luck!!!
Lee

I have a Hayward pump and generally leave it running 24/7. Except last night as my baquacil dealer suggested usingI noticed today, what I believe to be as white mold-it was attached to my ladder and jet and a few floating on top of the water :(. My kids have a pool party this weekend (the first one they have had) and so I am trying to figure out what to do. After this, I am converting over to bleach. Any suggestions on how to get my water clear enough for swimmers.

I started my pool on Baquacil when I put it in in 2004 and it was fine for a year and a half and then it got white water mold. My Baquacil sanitizer level was always within the proper range but the oxidizer was used up almost as quickly as I put it in the pool. It took at least couple gallons of oxidizer daily to keep the pool clear and in one month I spent over $1,000 at the pool store. I was leaving the pool store with cases of oxidizer. Nothing I did got rid of the water mold while I was using Baquacil.

I would stock up on oxidizer for the pool party and then switch to using chlorine as soon as possible.

Baquacil has a product called Line Clean that may help if just increasing the oxidizer level doesn't clear it up. I have used it successfully several times when i had white mold and pink slime, but the whole treatment involves not just the Line Clean product, but also shock, and if using their CDX system, CDX. It cost me about $100 everytime i used it. fortunately that was only once/season, but eventually, it ceased working against pink slime (the slime came back too quickly).

In addition to ensuring your filter is clean, try adding Baquacil flocculant. I used this regularly after backwashing my sand filter and it seemed to help. also inexpensive (probably the ONLY inexpensive thing about using Baquacil!).

Here is an online store i used after my local store gave me bad advice. I still bought the oxidizer from the local store because it was cheaper.
#1 Dealer of Baquacil in America

Thank you! I am going to do the line cleaner flocculant and oxidizer. I have not used the cdx yet but the pool store suggested I put it in with the oxidizer. My Oxidizer was extremely low again-On Monday it was 2; today it was 3 after putting two gallons in. The mold is eating it! Everything else is in normal range. I spent 160.00 on product today :(. I am really hoping it clears the water for the weekend and will then start the process to convert it.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thank you! I am going to do the line cleaner flocculant and oxidizer. I have not used the cdx yet but the pool store suggested I put it in with the oxidizer. My Oxidizer was extremely low again-On Monday it was 2; today it was 3 after putting two gallons in. The mold is eating it! Everything else is in normal range. I spent 160.00 on product today :(. I am really hoping it clears the water for the weekend and will then start the process to convert it.

and you going through all that trouble because you have allergy to chlorine or some other reason? Just trying to understand, nothing else. I have very little knowledge about Baquacil products.

and you going through all that trouble because you have allergy to chlorine or some other reason? Just trying to understand, nothing else. I have very little knowledge about Baquacil products.

We have a pool party this weekend and really would like to follow through with it as it is my kids first pool party and school starts back. We started with baquacil because the guy who installed the pool talked me out of a salt water or chlorine/bleach pool; in his opinion, it was easier and there would be little maintenance. I have followed the recommendations of the pool store, after each weekly water test and I now have white mold. Crossing my fingers and spending way too much, I am hoping for a clear pool. However, we will be converting it as I have had little success with the product and it is expensive.

We have a pool party this weekend and really would like to follow through with it as it is my kids first pool party and school starts back. We started with baquacil because the guy the installed the pool talked me out of a salt water or chlorine/bleach because it was easier and water would be clear. I have followed the recommendations after each weekly test and I now have white mold. Crossing my fingers and spending way too much, I am hoping for a clear pool. However, we will be converting it as I have had little success with the product and it is expensive.

sorry to hear, that explains it- good luck, hope it works out and you'll be able to use the pool.

I am new to owning a pool. I have a33ft above ground pool and am currently using baquacil. Because I am new at taking care of a pool, I take a sample every week to a baquacil dealer and put in exactly what they tell me to (and the expense is crazy 60-90 a week). This is the first week we have the ph level normal. However, my oxidizer level is consistently low (very low), which makes us think something is consuming it. Our water is starting to get hazy as well. I can see the bottom but it hazy. My kids have a pool party this weekend and I need suggestions on how to fix this. I also noticed a clear/white haze in the skimmer basket today..

As was already mentioned, definitely use CDX since it helps preserve the oxidizer level. Also make sure to keep up the level of Baquacil sanitizer / algistat. I would also highly recommend trying some Aqua Finesse Pool Care tablets. I used them for the first time this season and the water has never looked better. Filtration is definitely a big factor. It has been said many times that DE filter does not work real well with biguanide, although I've always had a DE and manage fine. Frequent backwashing is not unusual with biguanide also. Best of luck..I know how much work and money it can take.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.