Muriatic Acid and Pump Pressure

damato300x7

Silver Supporter
May 23, 2016
Latrobe, PA
So my TA was up to about 200 at one point this year. I have slowly dropped it by adding MA and then letting PH creep back up then add more MA. It is now down about 90 and am fine with that. But every time I add MA to the pool my pump pressure goes up one the next 24 hours to a point where it needs back washed. I haven't backwashed it just bump the pump and after a couple days of that the pressure stabilizes. Is this normal? Its not a big deal just wondering if this is normal.

Thanks
Dan

Im adding the MA to the front of the return in a very small stream into the flow. It is a Hayward DE Filter.

- - - Updated - - -

Duraleigh, it is when I add Muriatic Acid that I see a spike in my pressure of my pump over the next 24 hours.

When was the last time you tore down the filter and completely cleaned it out. Your DE fingers could be all "limed up" (scaled with calcium) and in need of cleaning. It's unusual that it's correlated to acid doses as there's really nothing that would cause what you describe.

It was a brand new pump and filter in May of this year. I have only back washed it 4 times all summer (after finding TFPC). So I have not opened it up this year yet. Was planning on cleaning it at the end of the season before storing for the year.

4 lbs as directed by the manufacturer in the start up instructions.

If that's the full charge, then you have likely overcharged the filter with too much DE. Backwashing rarely removes more than 50% of the DE in the filter so doing a full charge each time adds too much DE.

Mu suggestion is you tear down the filter and clean it all out. It's not hard to do, probably will take an hour or two. It's a perfect Saturday morning project.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.