Jul 20, 2016
Cincinnati
Current numbers:
pH 7.4
FC 20 (average)
CC .5
TA 130
CYA 50

I've been slamming my pool for over a week now. Started vacuuming to waste yesterday and today. There is still algae of some sort on the bottom and a few inches up the side every morning. I have been brushing daily as well as vacuuming. The algae was going right through the Intex cartridge filter when I vacuumed so I started vacuuming to waste yesterday. This has improved things noticeably but it was still there this morning. The water is not as cloudy though. But there was still visible algae this morning.

Today is the second day of vacuuming to waste. I will check it again in the morning.

I am thinking of draining it and re-filling. It's 10K gallons, vinyl. Maybe I need to get a decent DE Filter. They filter down to 1 micron or so right? Would a DE filter get the algae out?

I have the TF-100 Test Kit.

I appreciate all input!

Hi, welcome to TFP! If what you are seeing is still green then you are still killing algae. A DE (or sand, or a better cartridge filter) will clean up the dead algae better than your current filter, as long as it is sized appropriately, however until all the algae is dead you need to keep slamming. Since you are seeing a noticeable improvement that is a very good sign the slam will be completed soon.

Welcome to TFP! Good to have you here :)

Keep it going, you're almost there. Do the cartridges look OK, i.e. no holes or anything?

Draining vs. slamming is mostly about replacement water and chemical cost (assuming the pool is all above-ground). It's also fair to say you won't suck every bit of the dead "dust" out with draining, so you'd probably need to mop it out as well.

Here's info on filters: Pool School - Pool Filter Comparison

Please add a signature to get the best possible advice. Instructions are in "Read Before Posting" which is linked in my signature, thanks.

today's numbers:

pH 7.3
FC 22
CC .5
TA 110
CYA 50

Thanks for all the input folks!

I think I've turned the corner on the algae problem. This morning was the cleanest I've seen it in weeks. Very little algae on the bottom. Just barely noticeable when comparing to a freshly brushed section. The water looks quite clear now but I will continue to slam until I see no algae and I have minimal overnight FC drop.

My filter cartridge is in good shape, no holes. I replace them fairly often, and rinse them with a hose everyday. Still, a DE filter or a better cartridge filter is in the works for next year.

The algae problem began because my CYA level was low, about 10, and I was having a hard time keeping the FC level up in this hot weather and with all the swimming. I tried the powdered cyanuric acid initially, (this is my first year with a pool) putting in well over 3 pounds of it, trying to dissolve it first in a bucket, but it would not bring the CYA level up to more than a 10. It may have been a bad batch or something. When I put in the liquid cyanuric acid the CYA level came on target immediately. No more powder for me!

The vacuuming to waste may have been the key to turning the corner on this. I will do it one more time today.

Thanks again.

Last edited:
:wave: to TFP brassman96

Most of the time all you need is patience. That said I know I'm really short on having any even when I'm doing my own pool !! Glad to hear you're seeing some light at the end of the tunnel.
Better (bigger) filter would likely help next time.

While you're SLAMing, only test FC and occasionally CC so you know what's happening. pH is not accurate above 10 ppm FC anyway.

Keep the SLAM going to the bitter end; you're nearly there.

Liquid stabilizer is handy, for sure. Note that powdered CYA will not show up in testing for a few days after adding it.

MMMaintain and BBBrush! Good luck with the last of the dust.

Patience and persistence have paid off! It took about 12 days of slamming. The water is clear, no visible algae. I can't do the overnight chlorine drop test until I receive more R-0871. I ran out from doing so many tests! But I think I'm finally done slamming.

At what FC level can we swim again? Anywhere below 10? FC is dropping but is around 12 ppm. CYA is 40 now from all the rain and draining of excess water.

Thanks for the advice folks!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Great news! Well done :)

+1 to Jeffchap's answer above. We like to keep our pools safe for swimming so TFPC methods pretty much revolve around that principle.

Safe swimming rules are:
Bottom of the pool entirely visible
pH between 7.2 and 7.8
FC between minimum and shock level per: Pool School - Chlorine / CYA Chart

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.