new pump vs existing plumbing

dravenone

LifeTime Supporter
Mar 25, 2009
Glendora, California
I got the Hayward variable speed and on the box it states 2" plumbing required 2.5" recommended. I have 2" suction side and 1.5" return side. Since it's variable it will be dialed down as far as it can go, prime will run at 65% for 6 minutes, new pump hp says 2.0 frhp (2.7 thp). No solar, no spa, no water feature, should I be concerned about my 1.5" return? edit filter will also be upgraded to hayward de 48 sqft.

The pipe size shouldn't be a problem. You should run 2" pipe out of the pump for as far as you can easily manage, hopefully all the way to the filter, and then downsize after that. You are going to be pushing the filter pretty hard during priming. I don't think that will be a problem but it will be right near the limit for that filter so there might be issues.

The Hayward variable speed pumps are very new. We would love to hear more about your experiences.

as always, thanks! Yes 2" inch to the filter and swg and all the way until I hit the 1.5. I hope the filter doesnt become a problem, the pad will already be tight with the 48. I do plan to report back, trying to get it installed before the 4th of July but my spare time is limited.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.