Mulch or pea gravel?

Jul 20, 2016
Milwaukee, WI
Now that our pool is installed, I have to start the fun process of putting back the dirt (I think that's called back fill?) and landscaping around the AG pool. I've done some googling to get ideas but I'm trying to figure out what is the best to put down around pool: mulch or pea gravel?

Wasn't sure if there's some considerations to think about when doing either one. The only thing I know is that mulch will have to be maintained each year.

Also, any tips on helping our grass grow over all the dang dirt that's all over our yard? Due to electrical and gas line trenching. It's basically sand now because we haven't had much rain and it's so dry...I'm so stressed with how tore up our yard is in that area. My husband and I don't know squat about landscaping. I included a pic in case it helps. I put tarp down to prevent the kids causing a big muddy mess (ignore ladder, I just put it in so it hasn't sunk yet). A deck will be built for some of the pool area (front part and half of the right side of pool).

IMG_0367.jpg

mulch can float away and be a pain around the pool, you could use pea gravel easily or just grass up to the pool..

grass is easy to grow, grass seed, fertilizer and water, lots of water :)

We used river rock on top of landscape fabric and it works well. Only difficulty is walking on it with bare feet. So I have placed patio blocks evenly spaced around the pool on the river rock so I can walk around the pool to vacuum. We also used a metal edging as a barrier between the lawn and the pool rocks. It works well but must be deep enough to stop the grass roots from working their way into the rock bed.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.