Help, Pretty Please?!! New Pool Owner Overhwhelmed by Mustard/Black Algae...

Okay, so I have been testing PH & TA every 45 minutes to an hour after adding muriatic acid (as per the pool math chart). I gradually added muriatic acid to lower PH to 7.0 to attempt to lower the TA but the TA just hasn't wanted to come down. My PH is now at 6.9 but TA has remained steady at about 110-120 for the last 3 readings (I first got it down to 7.5, then 7.2, now 6.9 - each of those times yielded a TA of 110-120). I am aerating with the fountain, pump, SWG, etc. but I am assuming I should leave it alone despite the high TA readings? I just don't want to lower my PH too much.

A question about the TA test - I say the reading has a range of 110-120 because I am a little unsure of the "red" status. The instructions simply say "once it turns red". It clearly turns from green to a bright pink in my case which I am counting at 110. Then, if i add one more drop, it deepens the bright pink color and then further drops do not affect the color. My question is: is the reading complete once it simply turns pink/red or is the reading complete once the pink/red deepens & further drops do not affect?

Thanks!

Do not lower the PH any more. It is a process really. Push the PH down to 7.2 using MA then use all of the fountain, pump, etc. to push it back up to 7.8. ONLY after the PH goes back up to 7.8 to you push it back down. It might take a couple/few days to get your TA down.

TA test. I stop when it changes color AND keeps the changed color. It will "flash" red/pink. Keep dropping until the red/pink sticks. Call it then.

:kim:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.