Extremely low (below4) pH, what to do, what caused it?

Nov 4, 2013
Been lurking on here for last two years keeping my pool in check with all the knowledge in these threads but I can't figure this one out. Have a 24' 48" high above ground liner pool with a sand filter and intex swg which works great. Pools clear and clean. Problem is my ph read low on the quick test so I dumped in a bag of baking soda. Stil read below chart after a week so I took sample to my work with a proper pH meter and ph is below 4. What causes this and what's the best way to remedy it. Seems like a lot of baking soda to fix. Is a dump and refill in order? Thanks for any help.

:wave: Welcome to TFP jabroni1m

When was your last pH reading and what was it ?? What exactly are you using to test your pH at home ??
Do you have an attached spa, waterfall, ... :confused:

It would be very helpful instead of promoting your business you added your pool and equipment info to your signature as outlined here - - > Pool School - Getting Started

I'm not sure how "I'm promoting my business". No mention of a business name and my business is a winery not a pool company. But my "Business" does have several $2000 pH meters that are used daily so I'm positive on the pH reading. Tested it again yesterday and it was 3.9247 to be exact. My alkalinity was low as well so I thought I could kill 2 birds with 1 stone.

From Pool School - Recommended Chemicals: "pH can be raised in three ways: borax, soda ash, and aeration."

Baking soda is for raising TA.

This is the answer to your pH problem Jabroni1M. Using PoolMath it will help tell you how much borax or soda ash to use. I would suggest the Borax as its easiest to find in the laundry aisle. I would do it pronto also as low pH is rough on vinyl and equipment.

Stop.

Before you do anything, what is your TA? Given your pH reading, I will assume it is zero or lower (yes, negative TA is a thing). Without bringing that up it will be very difficult to raise your pH and keep it there.

Sent with Tapatalk on HTC Ten

Welcome to the forum. :wave:

Donaldson's got it right. (Isn't he annoying?:laughblue::laughblue:) Baking soda first....regardless of how much it takes.
I'm not sure how "I'm promoting my business". No mention of a business name and my business is a winery not a pool company.
Don't be offended by that. That block is used for information that us frequent responders must have (because we can't remember what each person has) if we are to comment intelligently back to you. Is it time to drain and refill? We don't know because that block is where we want you to put the size of your pool so we can answer that question.

My fault for assuming :oops: The link took me off to some business so I figured . . .
That and I didn't read your post close enough to notice it's an AG. So no attached spa and likely no waterfall. Sorry.

When was the last time you had a normal 7.2-7.8 reading and how fast did it drop ?? Is there anything you've done lately that you think may have impacted the pH level ??

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.