The olympics needs you!

The Olympics should have hired these two guys -

70888a78d7c11aa2f3e49c81cf566dfa.jpg

Even they know every good pool needs a good test kit...

I heard it was green and they still used it!!! Go the Aussies, but hey, the Americans have been and continue to be very impressive. :D

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
The mystery of the green Olympics diving pool has been solved.

FINA, the international governing body of swimming, diving, water polo, synchronized swimming and open water swimming, released the following statement:

FINA can confirm that the reason for the unusual water colour observed during the Rio 2016 diving competitions is that the water tanks ran out some of the chemicals used in the water treatment process. As a result the pH level of the water was outside the usual range, causing the discolouration. The FINA Sport Medicine Committee conducted tests on the water quality and concluded that there was no risk to the health and safety of the athletes, and no reason for the competition to be affected.

The mystery of the green Olympics diving pool has been solved.

FINA, the international governing body of swimming, diving, water polo, synchronized swimming and open water swimming, released the following statement:

FINA can confirm that the reason for the unusual water colour observed during the Rio 2016 diving competitions is that the water tanks ran out some of the chemicals used in the water treatment process. As a result the pH level of the water was outside the usual range, causing the discolouration. The FINA Sport Medicine Committee conducted tests on the water quality and concluded that there was no risk to the health and safety of the athletes, and no reason for the competition to be affected.

It scares me that an organization devoted entirely to sports conducted in swimming pools is so ignorant about basic water chemistry that they think the pH of the water can affect the color in any direct way. Other than some bizarre chemical reaction, there is only one thing that causes green pool - not enough chlorine. If the algae are blooming imagine what the bacteria and viruses are doing. I bet they just tested for chlorine and decided it was good if it was over 1 mg/L without any knowledge of the CYA levels.

It scares me that an organization devoted entirely to sports conducted in swimming pools is so ignorant about basic water chemistry that they think the pH of the water can affect the color in any direct way. Other than some bizarre chemical reaction, there is only one thing that causes green pool - not enough chlorine. If the algae are blooming imagine what the bacteria and viruses are doing. I bet they just tested for chlorine and decided it was good if it was over 1 mg/L without any knowledge of the CYA levels.

Not entirely true. I can turn my pool green by letting the PH get too high because of iron in the water. It looks pretty close to the kind of green show in the photos.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.