Difference Between Algae and Red Dirt

VinDeeLoo

Bronze Supporter
Jun 5, 2016
Tonkawa/Oklahoma
I live in Oklahoma and am surrounded by red dirt. We live not even 1/2 a mile from fields and it is Oklahoma "where the wind comes sweeping down the plains". I think I have found some algae on the water level mark on the opposite side of the return. (I think). My FC was lower than what it should have been this morning. It was still above minimum level, but not what I try to keep it at. I know we need a stronger pump but we are stuck with the one that came with our pool for the time being. I am running it 24-7 because we have had some rain and wind that have stirred up the dirt. Now my question, how do I know the difference between red dirt on the bottom of the pool and algae?

Here are my testing results from this morning
FC 7 (It was 8.5 when I went to bed.)
CC 0
TC 7
pH 7.5
TA 90
CH 260 (we have very hard fill water)
CYA 30

I added 50 oz 10% chlorine to bring levels up to 12 around 10:30 am and brushed the sides and floor of the pool. At 12:30 it was down to 10 so I added 24 more oz of chlorine and brushed the pool again. Will test again around 2:30.

FC down to 5.5 at 2:45. Had to add 64 oz chlorine.

Last edited:
The water is pretty clear but does have some reddish/brown on the floor. I have swept it several times today. It really makes me think of red dirt, but I am not sure. I did find some black gunk on the wall on the opposite side of pump and return at water level. I was able to scrub it off with my brush. I have brought it up to SLAM level and have tested several times today bringing it back up to slam.

OK, if your water has reddish debris on the bottom, why would you think that is green algae? Manually vacuum the red dirt out of your pool, letting your filter catch it. When did you last backwash?

You should perform the OC tonight. If you do not pass, you will need to SLAM your pool......failing the OCLT would mean that you have both red dirt in your pool and algae.

Have you read "The ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry" up in Pool School?

Yes I have read all of pool school. I thought it might be algae when the past 2 days our FC was lower than what I was expecting it to be. The black gunk on the wall made me question it too.I googled pictures of algae to get some idea. Some pictures looked like what I see.

We have a Summer Waves pool, can you backwash it? We clean our filter everyday.

Yes I have read all of pool school. I thought it might be algae when the past 2 days our FC was lower than what I was expecting it to be. The black gunk on the wall made me question it too.I googled pictures of algae to get some idea. Some pictures looked like what I see.

We have a Summer Waves pool, can you backwash it? We clean our filter everyday.

try to measure FC overnight loss- if you're less than 1 then it's all just dirt which needs cleaning/vacuuming/filtering.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.