What to balance first pH or TA, iron removal in progress

Aug 16, 2015
Upstate, NY
Hello -

I just filled my new small, vinyl liner pool, and unfortunately made a good size error. The pool was mostly filled with surface water, quality (per pool store):
FC, CC, CYA: 0 ppm
TA: 34 ppm
TH: 17 ppm
pH: 7.6
iron: 0.1 ppm

I had a few more inches to go, and I thought "I have hard water, I will just use the hose to top it off!" Well in addition to slightly harder water, now I have a lovely shade of orange in the pool (per Taylor 2006):

FC: 4 ppm
CYA: 35 ppm
TA: 50 ppm
TH:50 ppm
pH: 7.0
iron:?? - I will have to bring a sample to a pool store

I am using the you tube 5 gallon pail pillow stuffing method for iron removal and it seems to be slowly working, but in the mean time, I want to adjust the pH and TA. Per pool math, adding baking soda for TA will also have an impact on pH, so should I adjust TA a little first and then adjust the pH? Start with the pH (Borax) and then adjust TA, or not do anything while my iron removal efforts are going on? I thought a higher pH was more likely to bring the iron out of solution and into a particulate form, so I wanted to get into a 7.4 - 7.6 range.

Thanks so any comments or suggestions!

If you could point your returns up to ripple the water or run a robot or otherwise aerate the water to raise pH that would be best.

I wouldn't bother raising TA yet, keep an eye on pH and see what it does for a week or so.

To answer your question directly, pH first, TA last (after everything else.)

e: You do want to keep pH lowish with metals in the water. I would really hold off any chemical additions to raise it. Somewhere around 7.2 would probably be best.

Welcome to TFP! :wave: You're correct in that the elevated pH "should" cause the iron to precipitate more. Just be careful about it effecting or staining any other areas. That's tricky territory. :) If you do take water to get re-tested for iron, make sure to grab a clean sample from the source and not the pool where chlorine has already been added. Once you're done with 5-gal filtering and are ready to adjust levels, I'd keep the pH in that 7.2 zone. I wouldn't worry too much about TA at all at this point. Don't forget to review the Pool School - Metals in the Water and Metal Stains page and let us know if you have anymore questions.

Nice to have you with us.

Thanks so much. I have adjusted pH just a bit using the borax and will not worry about TA for now. I am really pleased with the iron removal, the water has gone from Orange to kinda brown green to greenish blue tonight. I think two more days and I will be able to call it quits, and can then really get the water balanced. Thanks again.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.