TF100 Reagent Containers

pinguy

May 30, 2015
Pennsylvania
I think the TF100 is an improved format over the K2006, so don't take this the wrong way this is just some honest feedback.

After purchasing some reagent replacements from a local Taylor distributor, I feel as though the quality of the drop bottles and especially the DPD powder container in the TF100 is lacking.

With the bottles, it is very difficult to get a consistent drip size. I realize this has been stated here before and the issue is with static - but I've not had the same issue with the Taylor bottles - I feel they are more consistent and easier to control.

The bigger issue though, is the DPD powder container. It's not air tight, and in just a few months of humidity the powder gets clumpy and begins to turn red. I know the clumps are not a big issue, but turning red definitely is. I have not gotten accurate results unless the powder is pure white, otherwise it does not dye the sample correctly. I had the 2 containers side by side, and the Taylor container seals super tight which in my case resulted in a better shelf life.

Just my $0.02

I've used a lot of bottles from different test kit makers over the years and never noticed any performance issues with the TF100 bottles. I guess I've been lucky as I've never even seen the static problem. As for the powder, I use a different source pre packaged per test, because I prefer it over the dipper.

The static electricity issue concerns only the R-0009, Wiping the dropper tip between drops cures it and it goes away in just a couple of weeks. The chemistry is Taylor and Taylor acknowledges the static problem in their literature. I am sorry you are seeing a difference but I can't imagine why you are getting that result. No one else has reported it.

The DPD powder starts to turn dark from exposure to moisture. Most see the darkening as greyish to even charcoal but not red.

I have used that powder when it was almost black and got results identical to fresh DPD. As long as it turns chlorinated water in to a pinkish red, it is viable and dependable. We are considering a desiccant pack into the DPD powder, as it will help (maybe) with the darkening. At this point, we see it as a cosmetic fix as the darkened DPD powder seem to work dependably and with precision.

I am embarrassed to say just how old some of the DPD powder we experiment with really is. I will say it seems to test just fine after 2 years (+). We stand behind Taylor products and they suggest one year before it is replace.

Of course, how the DPD powder is cared for has everything to do with it's longevity. Taylor suggests replacing the DPD powder after 12 months. I agree that is the best plan. It has the capability of lasting much longer however.

I am embarrassed to say just how old some of the DPD powder we experiment with really is. I will say it seems to test just fine after 2 years (+). We stand behind Taylor products and they suggest one year before it is replace.

Of course, how the DPD powder is cared for has everything to do with it's longevity. Taylor suggests replacing the DPD powder after 12 months. I agree that is the best plan. It has the capability of lasting much longer however.
For me the sample was not turning very red, and I thought my SWG was having issue. Once I got fresh powder I got a much higher FC result. Might be an isolated incident though!

For me the sample was not turning very red, and I thought my SWG was having issue. Once I got fresh powder I got a much higher FC result. Might be an isolated incident though!

I didn't observe that- 1.5 year old powder from original K2006 produced exactly the same FC in 5-6 ppm range as fresh refills. I tried all 4 combinations: orig powder + orig reagent, orig powder + refill reagent, refill powder + orig reagent. refill powder + refill reagent- all produced the same result. I was actually impressed by such consistency. My original powder didn't darken much and I spent the last of it just couple days ago. The pH indicator and refill behaved the same as well. My CYA needed refill first and it was also producing the same result even though the test is less objective.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.