ethylene glycol and rubber

Diver

May 5, 2011
South of Boston
I typically use an expandable rubber plug in my skimmer when I close my pool for winter. I pour good amount of ethylene glycol based antifreeze into it and stuff some pool noodles. Last year somehow I didn’t get much additional water into it over the winter and antifreeze stayed undiluted. The top part of the plug had rubber all shriveled and misshaped. Which seems to be an effect from the ethylene glycol. Which is not a big deal, since a rubber plug is under $10 and can buy new ones every season.

This upcoming winter will be my first one with solar system. I planned on adding some glycol to the pipes around check valves, 3 way valve and possibly bottom header of the panels. But now I’m concerned with rubber gaskets on the expensive valves and connecting rubber hoses between the panel that form the bottom header.

I tried to find if glycol indeed reacts with rubber and it seemed to be a case. However there are tons of different rubber types.. So I’m wondering if anyone had an experience/knowledge with this and can share something thoughts. I found this page about rubber resistance, but not sure how helpful it really is:

http://mykin.com/rubber-chemical-resistance-chart-3

The proper type of antifreeze for pools is propylene glycol (RV antifreeze) NOT ethylene glycol (automotive antifreeze). Please confirm you are using the proper kind of antifreeze because automotive antifreeze would create a toxic mess in your pool. Automotive antifreeze is typically iridescent green [EDIT] or orange[END-EDIT] while RV antifreeze is typically bright [EDIT] pink [END-EDIT]. The primary component of RV antifreeze should be listed as propylene glycol.

JoyfulNoise you are correct except . . . RV is usually pink. Automotive Dex-Cool for GM's is orange. Small thing but don't want someone to make the mistake.
Either one should be safe around rubber. The RV especially as it's used in the water system where there are usually rubber O rings, washers and gaskets. Not sure how either would react to the "noodle" ??

Attachments

• Antifreeze RV.jpg
    Antifreeze RV.jpg
    21.6 KB · Views: 36
I had a moment of color dyslexia. I totally remember that RV is pink and that's the image I have in my brain but for some reason I wrote orange....oh well, I guess that's why I'm not allowed to dress the kids :D

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.