CH Question?

Jun 24, 2016
Tyler, TX
All,

I just got my Taylor K-2006 test kit in about a week or so ago and got around to testing my CH. I did the test and was 150 ppm. In looking at the recommended levels in pool school it says my plaster pool should be 250-350. When searching on the internet about the levels it says 150-400. Why is there such a difference and what will happen if my level stays at 150? How can I increase my CH (I know you can add calcium chloride, but where to buy and how to use)?

Thanks in advance!

All,

I just got my Taylor K-2006 test kit in about a week or so ago and got around to testing my CH. I did the test and was 150 ppm. In looking at the recommended levels in pool school it says my plaster pool should be 250-350. When searching on the internet about the levels it says 150-400. Why is there such a difference and what will happen if my level stays at 150? How can I increase my CH (I know you can add calcium chloride, but where to buy and how to use)?

Thanks in advance!
Per Pool School:

"Calcium hardness can be raised with calcium chloride or calcium chloride dihydrate. They are available in some areas as Peladow, Dowflake, Tetra Flake, or Tetra 94, often sold as a deicer by hardware stores, and some big box stores, in colder climates. Pool stores will carry either calcium chloride or calcium chloride dihydrate under a variety of names, including Hardness Plus, Balance Pak 300, Calcium Hardness Increaser, etc. Calcium products should be spread across the surface of the deep end of the pool."

http://www.troublefreepool.com/content/139-recommended-pool-chemicals

If you have low calcium levels the calcium in your plaster will leech out into the water and shorten the life of your plaster.

As far as which recommended level to follow, you have to decide if you want to follow TFPC guidelines, or some random internet info. I recommend you follow the guidelines here as they are proven to work in the thousands of TFP members pools.

Dom

Dom is correct. Low CH in a plaster pool can lead to etching. Etching is plaster dissolving CH into the water and leaving a rough, pitted plaster surface.

Thanks for the replies. I am going to be adding some calcium chloride I picked up from the pool store today. I know that pool school recommends adding it to the deep end of the pool so I will be doing that, but is there a recommended way of doing it? Add into a bucket to dissolve or pour directly into pool and brush? Also, pool math says I need about 21lbs to get from 150-250. I may shoot for 300 instead, but is there a max dosage I can do within a certain amount of time? Thanks in advance again.

I'd follow the instructions on the container. There isn't anything wrong with adding that extra step of trying to dissolve it first in a bucket but it usually isn't necessary. I did my borax addition that way. I was lazy and added a box to a five gallon pail and put a small pump in there to mix it. After a few minutes I'd dump it into the pools deep end in front of the return. I think it was more trouble than it was worth and next time I'll just dump it in and brush. Either way I'd be brushing it after the addition.

I believe I read somewhere that calcium chloride will generate heat when added to water so if you do use a bucket don't put a bunch in at one time. When I added mine I just broadcast it by hand into the deep end then brushed right after worked just fine. I would aim for just under whatever your final goal is that way if you are off on the pool volume by a bit you won't over shoot.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.