Ammonia question - is there an acceptable level, or should my goal be 0ppm?

brauh01

Gold Supporter
Silver Supporter
LifeTime Supporter
Jul 9, 2012
Yardley, PA
Greetings,

Had a bout of algae after many F90+ days. Algae started in the shallow end;I was running filteration at night. Pool is in direct sunlight for at least 10 hours per day this time of year. Have since changed the pump running time to during the day. (For the past week, it is on 24/7.) Have maintained shock level for one week. CCs level have been zero for past 3 days; highest reading this past week was 0.6. CYA is running btw 30 - 35. Had one test were CYA was zero, also had a musty pool odor.

My ammonia tests, 3 times since Friday, consistently show .25ppm.

For those that like the remaining data, no current pH level since the FC above 10. (Typically my pH runs high and I add muriatic acid. I've been running about 7.8 - 8.0 this season with a goal of lowering it to 7.5.) TA is 80 and CH is 300 - 310. I added 2# of CYA since 7/31 with a goal of not losing all chlorine during the day while fighting algae. I use liquid chorine 12.5%, and have just this weekend added 3" pucks in an effort to maintain shock levels during bright and hot sunny days and to also to add some CYA. Water is sparkling clear. You need to look twice to see if the water is actually there. As I know the pool, I detect a slight musty odor when I reach in to get water sample.

Thoughts, comments, suggestions, haranges gladly accepted. My basic question is the ammonia level. Should my goal be zero, or am I wasting chlorine?

Bill

Thank you Isaac-1 for the quick response.
So, since it's been four days and 3 tests of .25ppm, any additional thoughts? The FC is holding, in fact overnight it went up by 1, which I'm attributing to the pucks.
Bill

Thanks for the response.

...because in one CYA test, my result was zero and I detected an odor from the pool. Perhaps I should have re-tested the CYA before going and purchasing the ammonia test kit, but the combination of the two led me to want to eliminate ammonia, or determine it, as an issue.

Thanks again.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.