Yet another aeration in progress

Meadow

Jun 10, 2016
Temecula, CA
With TA at 90, I have been adding MA every couple of days and decided to automate using Stenner. But I learned from other members here that they don't add MA often as I do. Figured I should take the aeration approach. Unfortunately, improvising nozzle attachment to the returns is not an option in my case. So I bought an inexpensive 1/3hp sump pump to use. Grabbed some PVC and 1" fittings from Lowes. Altogether is less than 60 bucks, since I have left over PVC glue.

I have no idea where to aim the nozzle to speed up the process but here’s what I’ve done.
First photo, PH climbed from 7.2 to 7.6 in 24 hrs.

I decided to add more holes at 45 deg angle in between and aimed upwards to shoot for more air. This indeed speed up the process, at least for me. PH climbed from 7.2 to 7.6 overnight.

In less than 2 days, my TA went down from 90 to 60. I brought down PH to 7.4 and will observe. I may have to put the Stenner out of commission if PH will stabilize.

Full test results:
FC = 7
CC = 0
PH = 7.4
TA = 60
CH = 300
CYA = 50
Salt = 3000

Interesting. About 5 days ago I made an aerator that screws into a return. It's just below the surface but brakes and arcs about 12 inches out of 8 7/32 holes . I also added MA to bring my TA down. 1 gallon to go from 130 to 120 and ph of 7.8 to 7.2. It's been 7.2 since. Wonders to self what I'm doing wrong.

Nice pool btw.

Thank you all.

Interesting. About 5 days ago I made an aerator that screws into a return. It's just below the surface but brakes and arcs about 12 inches out of 8 7/32 holes . I also added MA to bring my TA down. 1 gallon to go from 130 to 120 and ph of 7.8 to 7.2. It's been 7.2 since. Wonders to self what I'm doing wrong.

Nice pool btw.
Am I understanding your PH is stable at 7.2? I am jealous!

Well, now my TA is at 60 but PH still creeps rapidly from 7.4 to 8.0 in just 2 days. I had to add 24 oz of MA to bring down PH this morning.
I am not eliminating the spillover as the culprit but I have long since reduced the amount of water flowing through by 50%.

Now I am all ears to find that "sweet" spot for TA,... up or down more?

Leave it right where it is and see how it goes over a few weeks. Going well! :)

And don't fight the pH. Keep 7.6 - 7.8. With an injector, you can probably fine tune to 7.7/7.9

Next thing to change will be CYA. If you have a holiday coming up, leave it where it is. Other start thinking 70 ppm CYA.
This is a good article: Pool School - Water Balance for SWGs

Could you change your signature maybe, Is Hayward SWP15 your saltwater chorinator? If so, is it a Hayward AquaRite T-15? If so, you could enter AQR T15 SWG or Hayward T15 SWG

Going great. Well done!

Wait a minute. Don't you use aeration to rase pH?

"To lower TA you reduce pH to 7.0-7.2 with acid and then aerate to increase pH." that's from the poolcalculator.com
page in the TA section. So wouldn't your creeping pH be a result of your aerator or am I missing something being new to this whole thing?

Last edited:
Could you change your signature maybe, Is Hayward SWP15 your saltwater chorinator? If so, is it a Hayward AquaRite T-15? If so, you could enter AQR T15 SWG or Hayward T15 SWG
Thanks needsajet. Yeah, I guess I could but that would steer away from what I actually have. I could swear I ordered Hayward AQRT15 but what I received is SwimPure Plus model SWP15. I was :shock:! But according to the Supplier, I have to consider myself lucky to received the newer version of Hayward AQR series. Hence, relabeled as SwimPure Plus. Made me feel better, after all.

Wait a minute. Don't you use aeration to rase pH?

"To lower TA you reduce pH to 7.0-7.2 with acid and then aerate to increase pH." that's from the poolcalculator.com
page in the TA section. So wouldn't your creeping pH be a result of your aerator or am I missing something being new to this whole thing?

Been there, done that! I stopped aerating 4 days ago when TA hit 60. Thanks

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.