Waxahachie, TX
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-40
I feel so needy... Just back from vacation.. Pool was used heavily while we were gone. Came home to black spots on shelves... And green spots on floor. Scrubbed them all off.. So far.. Earlier added BL and MA according to PC. Here is where I am now:

Scenario tonite:

CYA 0
PH. 7.2
FC 0

PC CALC SAID TO ADD 96 oz bleach to slam.. I did that 30 min ago.

Is it safe to go in and brush?

I have sock with stabilizer in skimmer... But will go get the $$$ stuff if i need to.

Water looks clear.

H E L P Please!

Granular stabilizer is fine, squeeze often and it will dissolve in a day. It will show on the test 24 hours after is dissolved.

It is safe to swim/brush with FC above minimum and up to shock level for your CYA, [FC/CYA][/FC/CYA]. So, it is fine to get in and brush. And squeeze the CYA sock some more while you're in there.

Do you remember this? SLAM Process shouldn't take too long.

Going into brush.. Itdidn't come out the first time..

- - - Updated - - -

Thank0s, im on my way poolsiv. Thank you! I'll be back with new themes & readings tonite .

Hey Helen, since you are going to SLAM, dont take your Cya above 30 and it will be helpful, at least in terms of bleach needed. Shouldnt be hard. Remember the SLAM we did last Summer? It won't be much different this time, maybe easier.

Sorry about the late response.. I was out there scrubbing till the wee hours, then I conked.

My CYA before va-ca was hovering from 0-40. My spa was completely draining into the pool every night the pool turned off. So my CYA was nearly depleted, because old sock just couldn't keep up. The repair guy came and replaced a Jandy activator with a Hayward one. RIGHT before we left last Wednesday I noticed there was a small air leak on the suction side somewhere, and the pump had a leak in the joint right after the unit. The spa continued to drain down anywhere from 4"-6". The check valve was replaced just last year. So thinking it was an O-ring in one of the valves, Mike ordered some... they came when we left. The trip was a "SURPRISE!!!! WE ARE LEAVING FOR SAN DIEGO in the MORNING!! (Which was really sweet... even tho I had a pool crisis on my hands.) So off we go. I asked my daughter & neighbor to come check the pool level every day at least... so it was being filled everyday. I left bags of store type shock out for them to throw in every day. They swam everyday.. but no shock was added.

Came home to black "dots on all the ledges and floor, green spots of algae all over. That's what I scrubbed off last night.

So I currently have RED, off the charts PH - Zero CL Zero CYA.

The first cya sock is empty.. so I'm thinking about running to Leslies and buying that quickie liquid stabilizer to get SOME CYA in the pool. I just added MA and Bleach. I'll take a reading in about 20 minutes to get a starting point.

I tried putting silicone around the base of the leaky pipe, waited 5 hours for it to dry (100+ degrees outside) - that didn't work. I took off the leaking activator to find the o-ring and replace it... but it was a different size, so I lubed it up and put the old one back in for now.

The pool guy is coming to fix the leaks after he orders the parts.. Below is the leak after the main pump.. and air bubbles in the check valve. Oh yeah, the booster pump is not coming on at all, hence no polaris.

If I can just get my water under control, at this point I'd be thrilled. I've decided to let the pump run 24 hours a day to keep the water level up.

IMG_5704.jpgIMG_5698.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

Sorry, pics came out sideways..

I just learned something.. I had ran out of PH R 0014 solution a few weeks ago. I picked up (from Leslies) R-0004, which he said was the same thing. It is not. While waiting for my TFP order to arrive.

R-0004 makes sample water turn bright red
R-0014 makes the same sample water turn light orange

Luckily I had my new R-0014

Now -

PH - 7.2 (but lighter than that..)
FC - 1.5
CYA - 0 still.

Slam tonite for sure. Off to Walmart.

Thank you! I plan on slamming tonite - will get it in the right zone to make it effective - (FC and CYA.)

- - - Updated - - -

CYA was VERY low - I used the entire squeeze bottle and still saw the black dot clearly. The reason, I believe was that was losing a spa full of water every nite and having to refill, waiting on my PB (at least 4 days.) Not his fault... he's very busy and everybody is having algae issues due to this heat.

I sure do Patrick! Speaking of CYA.. I have a SW pool, but it is at 900, and should be at 3200. (It was 1100 last night.)

From what you said (keeping the CYA under 30) maybe I should hold off on the salt and just rely on the bleach and MA.. Right?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I added BL and washing soda

Brushed HARD, every nook and cranny. Left pool running.

FC 4
PH 7.2
CYA can't tell until morning - no sun..)

Water looks great - feels "sticky"

I think you need to perform the following test to make sure your pool doesn't have ammonia and bacteria consuming your cya. Do not add any more CYA, that will just feed the bacteria.

Raise FC up to 10 ppm, pump running, brush and test FC in 10 minutes. If FC is below 7 ppm then repeat until FC holds above 7 ppm. Then add CYA and SLAM.

At 10:40 am, I added 191 oz of 8.2% BL

2:00pm Current reading, before adding anything more:

FC 2.5
PH 7.2

TEMP 99 DEGREES
SALT - 1050

Will add 191 oz again to try to reach 10 FC

BRB..

======================
2:30pm
FC 10
======================
2:43pm
FC 9
(two samples taken from both ends of the pool)
======================
3:26pm
FC 7
======================
I didn't know you could sweat while standing in the pool - sheesh!

3:37pm
FC 4.5

Dang it!! I will get it up at 10 again by adding 131 oz BL.
=====================

That's a relief that it held. You go!!!!

Thanks!! I'm doing the 10 min test again - just to make sure..
===============
4:00pm
FC 10.5

(I hope this works, I'm out of bleach - will have to find another Walmart! LOL!)
===============
4:10
FC 10 YAY!!!
===============

9:30

FC - 4 (adding 143 oz BL to raise FC to 10

CYA - next to zero (adding 64 oz of stab in sock..and will squeeze it till my hand hurts.)

5 oz wine.. for good measure. :D

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.