How long should I run variable speed pump at which RPM?

Aug 8, 2016
Trinity FL
Hello,

I'm new to this forum and I've read through some of the threads and unfortunately still find myself confused. Here's my deal: I just got a Pentair Sta-Rite Supermax VS (variable speed pump). My pool size is 12x24 approximately 12,000 gallons of water (from my calculations). I live in Florida, so therefore it is sunny and hot and I keep the pool open year round. The pool is enclosed (inside a screened enclosure) and stays very clean in fact it's virtually free from leaves or debris. Pollen is my biggest problem at certain times of the year. I don't have any extra bells or whistles - so no heater, no spa, no water falls. I do have an automatic vacuum and an automatic chlorinator ( I put tablets in and check on them every now and then). There are no little kids swimming it in - just adults ( and not even that much).

My previous pump was a single speed and I usually ran it for 8 hours a day - during the hot summer months - and found I could drop to 4 hours a day in December to March (weather permitting of course).

So the million dollar question.... what speed (RPM) should I run the pump on and for how many hours a day?

I understand the concept of how variable speed vs single speed saves money - I just don't know what the correct speed and hours needed are....

Thank you for your help!
Linda

I run my pump at 1100 rpm for skimming, filtering and making chlorine with the SWG. It uses 150 watts. Most folks are ok running 6-8 hours per day. Start at 1100 or 1200 for 6 hours and if the pool is clean good. If not, then increase the time or the rpm a bit.