Just one more question please, when you pass the overnight test will the water just turn crystal clear or do you have to wait until the chlorine values to come down before it gets crystal clear?

it really clears up after you & filter remove all dead algae from there. With sand filter this cleanup usually takes several days.

please get one of the recommended test kits before you start the SLAM (or put its name in your signature). The SLAM is multi- day process where you have to maintain FC at shock level for your CYA so the good test kit is prerequisite for success.

try to take 'progress' pics over stairs or any other feature providing gradual depth view. If you take them at the same spot/same lighting conditions it makes it easy to see how it goes. Make sure your SWG is off and your pump/filter is on 24/7, brush as often as you can. Good luck and don't hesitate to ask questions :).

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
backwashing helps when the filter gets clogged with stuff (+15 psi relatively to 'clean' pressure). Backwashing too often actually decreases sand filter performance, they work the best being slightly dirty.

As woodyp said in post #8 you want to backwash when your PSI is 25% above your normal clean pressure. For example my clean pressure is 12, I don't backwash until about 15/16. But if I see above 16, definitely I backwash.

Hello again, testing last night 9pm fc31 woke this morning 5 am tested fc34ppm,
What could be the deal?
Maybe I misfire this morning 68 is a lot of drops to count.
Water is crystal clear today. I will run overnight test again tonight.
Any thoughts?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.