Storing pool for winter question

chayne

Bronze Supporter
i will be taking my pool down at the end of the season, because we want to move it to a different location. my question is when i take it down and store it what would be the proper way to do it? i have a pretty big deck box to store it and all the accessories in. i know i will have to drain it, let it dry out for a few days, and clean it really good. but what i was curious about is i have read that over the winter time sometimes the liners dry out and when installed the next year it leaks. i was curious if there was a way to keep the liner from drying out? any help will be greatly appreciated.

Just FYI this is the deck box that i have. I am hoping that the liner and the poles will all fit in this monster. Amazon.com : Lifetime 60012 Extra Large Deck Box : Patio, Lawn Garden

I would keep the liner indoors over the winter if possible. At a minimum, you want to protect the liner from heat and sunlight when it is taken down. Others with AG pools might have recommendations on how to roll or fold the liner to reduce chances of problems.

I currently leave mine up all year. Everytime I took it down I had problems the next year. If you have to take it down, then roll it up gently while it is still sunny out. The warmer the plastic the easier it will roll (More pliable), be careful. Make sure to get all the water out of the pool. Then store the pool in a deck box or something similar as suggested by Philc. Also get some help when doing this. the pools are heavy ...

I've stored mine in the house the past two winters. I drained it, then dried it with towels. Before I rolled it up I sprinkled talcum powder all over it. I read to do that somewhere, exactly where I have no idea, but it seems to help with keeping it from sticking to itself. Once rolled up, the liner went into a huge tote and was hauled into the basement. Poles went between the studs in the shed. SWG and pump went into a tote in the basement.

I'm not sure if the powder really helps, but..... right out of the box the pool had a couple on pinholes (easily patched). The next two times setting up- no pins holes at all. How much is the powder, how much is being stored inside the house in a more climate controlled environment I don't know.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.