hydrogen peroxide

Isn't the internet great? It allows access to near limitless knowledge. It also allows every wing nut trying to sell their "Pure Health System" the ability to post some words in a professional looking manner and be taken seriously. Look at the site more closely, they offer "natural help" for such things as AIDS and cancer (including a book called The Cure for all Cancers). They have a paper on their site that says you can protect yourself from Ebola by boosting your immune system with peppermint, basil, and rosemary. Intravenous use of hydrogen peroxide??? Holy cow that is the opposite of a healthy idea, but they promote it.

Seriously, don't bother even giving this joke of a web page the dignity of being argued.

I'm not going to go into a lengthy response because that website is typical pseudo-science BS. Any website that makes an appeal to fear by citing chlorine gas as being used in WWI to kill people is not a rational website. Obviously it is someone trying to promote an "alternative to chlorine" position. It would be a waste of my time to discuss anything that site has to say and it has all been covered here on TFP.

Peroxide can NOT be used as a method of pool/spa sanitation because it is not possible to maintain a high enough residual peroxide level to be practical. The EPA only recognizes three chemicals as pool sanitizer - chlorine, bromine and Baquacil. Peroxide is not one of them. Peroxide would have to be held at concentrations of nearly 50-100ppm to even come close to the CT kill times associated with chlorine/bromine. That is well above the threshold that would be very irritating to eyes and skin.

Peroxide can be used to regenerate bromine from the bromide bank in a spa but it is less effective that just using chlorine bleach to do so. If one wanted to have a spa with no halogens in it, then one could use the Nature2 system (silver ions) in conjunction with MPS as an oxidizer. But that will be very expensive and bather waste will likely take longer to oxidize. In a Nature2 system you'd want to have a UV sanitizer system as well to help with the bather waste.

WOW. I did not even peruse the website at all, I originally was reading it on my phone. I just knew it wasn't right

- - - Updated - - -

I'm not going to go into a lengthy response because that website is typical pseudo-science BS. Any website that makes an appeal to fear by citing chlorine gas as being used in WWI to kill people is not a rational website. Obviously it is someone trying to promote an "alternative to chlorine" position. It would be a waste of my time to discuss anything that site has to say and it has all been covered here on TFP.

Peroxide can NOT be used as a method of pool/spa sanitation because it is not possible to maintain a high enough residual peroxide level to be practical. The EPA only recognizes three chemicals as pool sanitizer - chlorine, bromine and Baquacil. Peroxide is not one of them. Peroxide would have to be held at concentrations of nearly 50-100ppm to even come close to the CT kill times associated with chlorine/bromine. That is well above the threshold that would be very irritating to eyes and skin.

Peroxide can be used to regenerate bromine from the bromide bank in a spa but it is less effective that just using chlorine bleach to do so. If one wanted to have a spa with no halogens in it, then one could use the Nature2 system (silver ions) in conjunction with MPS as an oxidizer. But that will be very expensive and bather waste will likely take longer to oxidize. In a Nature2 system you'd want to have a UV sanitizer system as well to help with the bather waste.

That is the first time I have ever heard ANYONE say anything remotely positive about a Nature 2 system. My friend asked me about it and I say NO WAY, RUN THE OTHER WAY. But that was for pools. He has a UV on his hot tub BTW.

I'm trying to help him because I'm new to hot tubs.

That is the first time I have ever heard ANYONE say anything remotely positive about a Nature 2 system. My friend asked me about it and I say NO WAY, RUN THE OTHER WAY. But that was for pools. He has a UV on his hot tub BTW.
Chlorine or bromine are much better options in a hot tub, but because of the specific circumstances that exist in one (small water quantity and heat) silver is more effective than in a large lukewarm pool. Combined with MPS it is a system that works and is EPA approved, but is not something you will get much advice for here. In a pool though silver is only a secondary sanitizer that must be used with chlorine or bromine.

Chlorine or bromine are much better options in a hot tub, but because of the specific circumstances that exist in one (small water quantity and heat) silver is more effective than in a large lukewarm pool. Combined with MPS it is a system that works and is EPA approved, but is not something you will get much advice for here. In a pool though silver is only a secondary sanitizer that must be used with chlorine or bromine.

^^^^ what he said ^^^^

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I hope you understand that when you sling statements about what is right and true, there is a danger of you being wrong too. So what's a reader to do? I am just saying.
I'm not sure who this is directed at, but please understand that TFP's basic principles are based on science and facts, we never just 'sling statements'. As a matter of fact, I take great pride and satisfaction in the accurate and complete information found on this site.

I hope you understand that when you sling statements about what is right and true, there is a danger of you being wrong too. So what's a reader to do? I am just saying.

I'd say this is blanket statement that covers every human being..

As for chlorine -- well I'm asked a dozen times a week, if I recommend an "alternative" to chlorine.
My answer always "well managed chlorine saves millions of lives everyday, in fact civilization would collapse without it & it is the most popular sanitizer because it is abundant & economical"

I know I'm a little over the top with my answer, but it's a dialogue I like to end quickly. Just imagine our modern world without chlorine for a day or so...

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.