do I need a separate booster pump?

Sep 23, 2015
Austin
Hi All,
my current pump set up is that I have a single speed motor for main filtration and a booster pump to use for the polaris cleaner. I'd really like to switch to a VS pump and my question is do I still need to use a booster pump or can I have that running from the VS pump?

thanks!

I believe that you will still need the booster pump, as it is designed to run your cleaner.

I 'assume' you want a VS pump to save on your energy bill. If so, your best bet would be to buy the VS pump and a Robot cleaner which needs no booster pump.

Thanks,

Jim R.

I believe that you will still need the booster pump, as it is designed to run your cleaner.

I 'assume' you want a VS pump to save on your energy bill. If so, your best bet would be to buy the VS pump and a Robot cleaner which needs no booster pump.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Yes, I was hoping to save on my energy bill. However, since the polaris runs for only 1 hour a day, it doesn't make sense to buy a new robot cleaner until the polaris gives in. Isn't it possible to run the VS pump for the polaris as well? I thought the point of the VS pumps was that you could vary the rpm to meet the separate needs of the spa/pool/cleaner?

Thank you for your reply.

Polaris makes specific models for use with a vs pump. If you don't have one of those(see my sig) you will not have a good experience.

Thank you gwegan.

I am beginning to think that I will wait until my current single speed gives up before even replacing that. I am running my pump for 4 hours a day and I should go out with my multimeter to figure out how much that is costing me but I suspect not enough to justify replacing it before it gives up. Same with the polaris.

thank you all for your great replies.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.