New pool owner...first steps

Jul 20, 2016
Milwaukee, WI
Hello,

We just got a pool installed and I am clueless on what to do. We do have a spa, so I'm assuming it's a bit similar as far as chemical upkeep...I have spent time reading through the Pool School information. I did order the FAS-DPD test kit, but what I'm not sure about is am I supposed to add water clarifier and stain preventative? I read steps on another site and that was listed as one of the first things to do. Add stain preventative and water clarifier. It then said to brush 2x's a day for 7 days with pump continuously running. However, I don't see this step listed on here. Is this necessary?

(In case it helps to know, my water is crystal clear)

Hello and welcome to TFP! :wave: Some of the things you mentioned are not necessary. Most depends on your pool type and water source. You have an AG (vinyl) pool, so there s no need to brush so often since you're not breaking-in new plaster. Is this new water (fresh fill)? If so, you want to add stabilizer to increase CYA to at least 30.
To increase CYA via granular stabilizer, place the required amount as calculated by the Poolmath calculator into a white sock and place in the poolside skimmer basket. For those concerned about suction flow to the pump, suspending the sock near a return jet or from a floating device will also suffice. Best never to allow undissolved granules to rest directly against the pool surface. Squeeze the sock periodically to help it dissipate. Once dissolved, consider your CYA adjusted to that programmed (target) level. CYA test readings should show a rise in 24-48 hours, however some pools may experience a longer delay to fully register. Best to confirm final CYA in about 5-7 days before adding any more stabilizer/conditioner.

You want FC to be about 3 ppm on day one of new water, then once the stabilizer is in the water increase to about 5 ppm. PH should always be in the mid-7s. No need for clarifier or any other pool store product.

Now your water. Is it from a well? Do you know if there is iron in that water source? If so that has the potential to cause stains and change the color of the water so that's a whole other discussion. But as we got back & forth and learn more about your pool and situation we can help further. Nice to have you with us.

Nope... no clarifier or stain prevention...

We bleach (a lot of it), Muratic acid, and chlorine stabilizer as our main components.. If other problems arise we use a handful of other things to help the process but bleach is your friend...8.25% if you can find it.
Brushing is always good but with those chemicals you listed, you have to brush to keep them moving.

Check out the ABC;s link in my sig so you can start to understand your chemistry

Now your water. Is it from a well? Do you know if there is iron in that water source? If so that has the potential to cause stains and change the color of the water so that's a whole other discussion. But as we got back & forth and learn more about your pool and situation we can help further. Nice to have you with us.

A small portion was used from our well (like 8 hrs worth of water from it) but I think whoever built our house (it's newish), has it hooked up through our water softener b/c I heard it running when the water faucet was on outside. If so, that means it went through our iron filter for the house...The rest of the water (2.5, almost 3 loads worth) was from The Waterman and that came from the city's water facility.

- - - Updated - - -

Nope... no clarifier or stain prevention...

We bleach (a lot of it), Muratic acid, and chlorine stabilizer as our main components.. If other problems arise we use a handful of other things to help the process but bleach is your friend...8.25% if you can find it.
Brushing is always good but with those chemicals you listed, you have to brush to keep them moving.

Check out the ABC;s link in my sig so you can start to understand your chemistry

Thanks!

Oh, also, can my kids swim right after I've distributed the chemicals and have a reading at what it should be? I have to use the test strips for now until the kit comes. Or do I need to wait so many days until I see the readings are consistently good?

You definitely want to ensure that you've added the stabilizer as noted above. That's important not only to protect the chlorine from the sun, but to protect the swimmers from the effects of chlorine. So stabilizer is a must. "Some" bleach is also necessary as noted above. Just under 3 quarts should get your FC to about 3 ppm. Until your good test kit arrives, I would suggest picking-up a simple 3-way test kit at Wal-Mart for about $6. With that you can do "drop tests" which are more accurate to test FC and pH. Test strips are just horrible. Once you know the FC and pH are good, they can swim.

So I tested my water this morning with a chemistry kit I bought at Home Depot until my TF-100 comes and the FC, PH, and CYA are fine. All I did was put in 2 gallons of liquid bleach yesterday. The FC was very high yesterday, of course, but this morning it was normal. Seems like that was too easy? Is that normal to start off the bat like that? I did not test my TA, as I know it's a bit high from the strip I used yesterday and I have to buy stuff for that today.

A couple other questions:
1. So I put the stabilizer in a sock and tie it to my ladder? I thought I read to put the sock in the skimmer basket but I saw another post that said they tie it to their ladder. How often do you fill the sock? I'm confused also by how the bottle says I only should need to add it once during pool season (and that is by applying product into skimmer), but yet I'm reading on here to put in a sock and leave in pool. The product I bought is Pool Time's Chlorine Stabilizer that is granules.

2. How long should I initially run my pump until I get the hang of how the pool is? My stepmom told me she runs hers 24 hrs. The pool place said 12 hrs. On here, I believe I've read 4-6 hrs. My pump is 1 speed.

Thanks

1) When I had to add stabilizer I used a sock in front of the jets. I took about 15-20 and actually "massaged" the stabilizer to get it to enter the water faster and begin to mix. It still takes a bit to get an accurate reading but otherwise it could take up to a week or so for all of the granules to dissolve. Squeezing and massaging the socks help.

2) depending on if you know you have algae and need to SLAM, then yes, run the pump 24 hours a day, keeping an eye on the pressure and cleaning the filter appropriately. Once you get the hang of things then you can drop back to a few hours a day. I usually adjust chemicals in the morning and run the pump before I go to work, and then have my wife turn it off about 3-4 hours later if she can, if not it runs for 8 hours and I turn it off.

I apologize I didn't read through the entire thread here to know exactly which filter and what any issues you are having currently, I will read up over my lunch and modify any post I have as necessary.

If you want to get the stabilizer in faster just buy a gallon of liquid stabilizer from the pool store (one of the things I do visit the pool store for). It's more expensive but worth it to me not to have to deal with hanging stuff in the pool and waiting for granules to dissolve. The pool math calculator will tell you how much stabilizer to put in.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.