Newbie! Electrical Questions!

Aug 8, 2016
Charlotte, NC
Hi all,

We are having our 18' Heritage above ground pool installed soon. We have called an electrician to come out. I am so confused at what have the electrician do and how to keep everyone safe swimming. Do we unplug the pump before getting in? What all do I need to know and do?

Thanks,

Ashley

The electrician will keep everyone from getting killed. He will use GFCI outlets or breakers to protect you.

You will never need to unplug anything.

I recently had an above ground pool installed. The electrician installed a copper ground wire around the pool,timer for the pump, gfci at the electrical panel.

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

That's a BOND wire, not a ground....it's there to keep you from getting shocked when you get out of the pool. (if a voltage gradient happens)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
To answer some of the questions

Bonding is not the same as grounding. Grounding provides an alternate path to ground for electrical systems in case a short occurs. Bonding equalizes the electrical potential between various conductive elements. When you shuffle your feet across the carpet and touch somone, you get a static electricity shock because you and the person you touch are at different potentials. If you had bonded youself to that person (say by holding hands) before you began to shuffle across the carpet, then you would not get a shock when you touch them with your other hand. Same goes for pools - the water, metal, earth, motor, ladder, and any other metal objects are all connnected together by a bond wire, so you cannot get a "static" shock by standing in the pool and touching the ladder for example. That is a bit simplistic of a description, but the general concept is there. Bonding and grounding are both required by the National Electric Code. Most municipalities use the NEC as their building codes, so a licensed electrician should be following them.

There is no problem getting into a properly wired pool with the pump running. Public pools are required to be filtered 24/7. Private pools are not. You should run your filter/pump as much as it needs to be. How much that is depends on your pool. The old ruile of thumb used to be to run it enough to change over the water each day. That has changed in the last few years. Many people can get away with running it less. I run my filter 4 hours a day for my 17,000 gal above ground pool. I could acutally back that down even more because my solar cover keeps a lot of debris out of my pool. You will be able to figure out what is right for your pool with trial and error.

-dave

To answer some of the questions

Bonding is not the same as grounding. Grounding provides and alernate path to ground for electrical systems in case a short occurs. Bonding equalizes the electrical potential between various conductive elements. When you shuffle your feet across the carpet and touch somone, you get a static electricity shock because you and the person you touch are at different potentials. If you had bonded youself to that person (say be holding hands) before you began to shuffle across the carpet, then you would not get a shock when you touch them with your other hand. Same goes for pools - the water, metal, earth, motor, ladder, and any other metal objects are all connnected together by a bond wire, so you cannot get a "static" shock by standing in the pool and touching the ladder for example. That is a bit simplistic of a description, but the general concept is there. Bonding and grounding are both required by the National Electric Code. Most municipalities use the NEC as their building codes, so a licensed electrician should be following them.

There is no problem getting into a properly wired pool with the pump running. Public pools are required to be filtered 24/7. Private pools are not. You should run your filter/pump as much as it needs to be. How much that is depends on your pool. The old ruile of thumb used to be to run it enough to change over the water each day. That has changed in the last few years. Many people can get away with running it less. I run my filter 4 hours a day for my 17,000 gal above ground pool. I could acutally back that down even more because my solar cover keeps a lot of debris out of my pool. You will be able to figure out what is right for your pool with trial and error.

-dave
Thank you Dave!!

Generally a pool with a depth of 42" or less does not require bonding. Diameter or size is otherwise irrelevant. NEC 680.2 and 680.30 et seq. Everything must be GFCI protected. It must be more than 6 feet from a outlet.

If its more than 42" deep its a permanent pool and it must comply with NEC 680.26. Big boy pool bonding requirements.

Your electrician needs to review those code sections. He should also review this study guide: https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwi8v7fj3LLOAhUQ5WMKHT8GA7kQFgghMAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.mikeholt.com%2Fdownload.php%3Ffile%3DPDF%2FSwimming_Pools_and_Spas_2014NEC.pdf&usg=AFQjCNHli4CC4UMdxP1Gtws655OlTlceYQ&sig2=KW6uvBy-TMg5hU0nEgzinQ

Generally a pool with a depth of 42" or less does not require bonding. Diameter or size is otherwise irrelevant. NEC 680.2 and 680.30 et seq. Everything must be GFCI protected. It must be more than 6 feet from a outlet.

If its more than 42" deep its a permanent pool and it must comply with NEC 680.26. Big boy pool bonding requirements.

Your electrician needs to review those code sections. He should also review this study guide: https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct...P1Gtws655OlTlceYQ&sig2=KW6uvBy-TMg5hU0nEgzinQ

Thanks!!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.