How do I keep the solar cover on???

kidsluv2swim

LifeTime Supporter
Jul 30, 2008
I am looking for some tricks to help us out. I have an 18X33, no deck. I cut the solar cover in 3 pieces to make it easier for me to handle. Whenever I put the filter on the cover just ends up ina big ball in the middle of the pool. I admit the filter is very strong. When I soak the cover with water, that helps a little but as soon as it drys, it happens again!

Any thoughts??

Holly

Hmmm. That is a tricky one. When the cover is on, angle the return eyeball down more towards the bottom?

Try filling empty bleach jugs with water to weigh down the cover. They will remain in place if you put them in about a foot from the edge....that's what I do when I'm going on vacation.

Reactions: Ignoramus
I have a 2 HP pump and don't have this problem at all. Never have...But is sounds like you may need to redirect your return Jet downward...On my pool this year I had my return Jet too high on the surface of the pool and the solar cover just spun in a circle...because you have an oval pool that current my not allow cover to move in a circle like it did in my round pool thus causing it to bunch up in the middle. You may have too much of a surface current going around the side of the pool. Give that a try...I bet that is the problem. I think pool mom nailed it again!!! :party:

I was actually having problems with the middle section, the water would flow and basically just go right on top of it, pushing it into a ball. We did turn the flow as much down as possible, but it still happened. So then I did a very small over lap of the section section on top of the first section by about 1 inch and that has worked, the cover has not moved in two days! I also laid my net with the pole completely extended on top of the cover(and kept my fingers crossed that it did not fall in) so far so good!
I am saving my bleach bottles though :wink:

kidsluv2swim said:
I was actually having problems with the middle section, the water would flow and basically just go right on top of it, pushing it into a ball. We did turn the flow as much down as possible, but it still happened. So then I did a very small over lap of the section section on top of the first section by about 1 inch and that has worked, the cover has not moved in two days! I also laid my net with the pole completely extended on top of the cover(and kept my fingers crossed that it did not fall in) so far so good!
I am saving my bleach bottles though :wink:

One thing that I did last year when I cut my cover into forths was to use duct tape to tape both sides of the cover along the seams that I cut...then i used a hole puncher to punch a hole in them. I then used releasable cable ties, zip ties what ever you want to call them to then attache it all together again. The difference is that you could fold it over on to itself and not keep water on it...when you folded it over you could get all the water off as you folded it. This year i did not do that, I bought wiffle balls and attached the wiffle balls with cable ties. to the corners of each section...This gave the cover more boyancy and helped it to stay in place better. Also it gives you something to push on when pushing the cover into place, easier for positioning. Just some other thoughts.

jotrud said:
I would like to see how you did the solar cover with the wiffle balls. I am still debating whether to solar cover or not to solar cover and was wondering if you could forward a picture. Thank you in advance.

I wish I could send a picture...but I don't have a digital camera availble right now. But here is what i did. I got a package of softball sized wiffle balls the kind with the slits cut into them. I run a cable tie through the ball, and then through a hole that I punched into the cover. I then use them to push the cover out into the pool and then position. The cover then floats better on the surface...Some people use tennis balls, others use the empty chlorine bottles...I will try to fine a picture for you...somewhere on this forum there are pictures.

Beave

Thank you so much for posting the pictures. I was wondering what to do about a solar cover for our new pool. Haven't ordered one yet, but plan to have one by fall. This is a VERY SENSIBLE solution and much, much cheaper than buying one of those solar reels! Thanks!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.