Confused about closing chemicals

Lol, he probably wants you to put a copper based algaecide in and then add a metal sequestrant to protect your pool from the copper he had you put in.

I personally just bring the pool up to SLAM level overnight before covering and pass on the algaecide. I have opened to a clear pool 5 years running. Some people choose to use a polyquat algaecide for added protection when closing but that is personal preference and situation.

Sent with Tapatalk on HTC Ten

I always have to add algaecide, but I only add Polyquat 60 as it doesn't have copper. Other algaecides have copper which can cause staining. I get warm spells during the winter and freezes during the early spring that prevent me from opening too early, so I need the insurance that algaecide provides.

I always have to add algaecide, but I only add Polyquat 60 as it doesn't have copper. Other algaecides have copper which can cause staining. I get warm spells during the winter and freezes during the early spring that prevent me from opening too early, so I need the insurance that algaecide provides.

This sounds like my situation...somewhat of a freeze/thaw throughout the year...

68,000litre, IG vinyl, LorentzPS 600 Solar Pump & 1/2 HP Tristar, Sandfilter, Aquarite T-15 SWG

Wow, I'm surprised a closing thread got to post six without this secret of TFP. Shushhhh, it's a secret...

Close as late as you can and open as early as you can. Your SWG will probably stop working, so you may have to use bleach for a short while, both during the closing season and after opening. You want the water cold when you close, consistently below 60 - even lower if possible. Then in the spring (late winter) open as soon as you are sure you are past any days long hard freezes. The secret, cold water inhibits algae growth. The colder the better.

People will look at you strange, but close cold/open cold and with a little luck you open to a perfectly clear pool

Let's move away from the pool closing conversation... I am not even close to ready for summer to end!!!

Sorry. I asked now because i pay PB to close the plumbing side of things. That way if anything goes wrong, they have to fix it...anyway, when i book now, I say 10%. They asked if I wanted basic close vs an enhanced close where they add a "closing chemical package", for an additional 100 bucks!! When I asked what chems they add, I may have offended them by suggesting their 100$ extra for chems that cost 20$ is a slight rip off!

68,000litre, IG vinyl, LorentzPS 600 Solar Pump & 1/2 HP Tristar, Sandfilter, Aquarite T-15 SWG

Wow, I'm surprised a closing thread got to post six without this secret of TFP. Shushhhh, it's a secret...

Close as late as you can and open as early as you can. Your SWG will probably stop working, so you may have to use bleach for a short while, both during the closing season and after opening. You want the water cold when you close, consistently below 60 - even lower if possible. Then in the spring (late winter) open as soon as you are sure you are past any days long hard freezes. The secret, cold water inhibits algae growth. The colder the better.

People will look at you strange, but close cold/open cold and with a little luck you open to a perfectly clear pool

Makes perfect sense. We booked closing for end of September. Next year I will open myself. But better to pass liability of close to PB for the plumbing side of things.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support

I've been doing this the last few years but I'm going to try the algaecide this year and try to close earlier and open later than I have in the past. I got tired of maintaining a pool with no benefits. The closing later and opening earlier sounds good, but the extra time, chlorine and pump run time that it requires with no benefit just makes me want to try the algaecide this time around.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.