Need some confirmation and feedback- skeptical of pool store advice7.4

mj66

Jun 30, 2016
virginia beach virginia
Hello all, and thanks in advance for your time and consideration.

Bottom line is that I'm a new pool owner and I think I have an algae problem but the pool store seems to think my water chemistry is just fine.

It's a 24' 52" round, vinyl liner pool with a sand filter and a SWG.

I've had my pool about 6 weeks now. All has been well up until this past few days after a heavy rain. Went to the pool store Saturday for a check and they said chemistry was perfect.

Went out this morning and the water is cloudy with a tinge of green. Went back to the pool store immediately and got these readings (luckily I am off today). The clerk seemed unconcerned and had no recommendations:

Alkalinity: 106
pH: 7.4
Calcium Hardness: 352
Total Chlorine: 0.14
Free Chlorine: 0.10
Chlorine Stabilizer: 33
Salt: 3400

I reiterated that the water was cloudy and seemed to have a tint of green, and she handed me a 1 pound bag of shock, which I added immediately this morning.
However, as I reviewed the sheet they handed me with my water chemistry, and the numbers above seem out of tolerance for even their recommendations- on chlorine alone they recommend a max of 3ppm total chlorine and .6-1.5 ppm free chlorine. I'm actually wondering if she doesn't understand that 0.13 is LESS THAN 0.6...

Now that I have read a bit on the forum, it seems to me that I have an algae problem and need to do something more.

Pool store is wrong.. . Start reading Pool School and order a test kit. . See tftestkits.net for the recommended kits.

Read up on SLAM in Pool School since that will be your next step once you get your kit.

In the mean time, add 1 gallon of bleach each day until the kit comes

From your description, yes you do. You need to order a test kit and cut the cord with the pool store. As you have seen, they don't care about your pool.

I recomend a TF-100 from tftestkits.net. They ship from Raleigh and if you order now they may get it out to you today.

Until the kit comes in I would add one bottle (121oz, 8.25%) generic bleach to the pool with the pump,running each day. I use WalMart GreatValu, but you can get bleach almost anywhere. No ezpour, scents or flavors of bleach. Plain generic bleach.

While you wait, do a little reading -
ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry
SLAM Process
Overnight Chlorine Loss Test
[FC/CYA][/FC/CYA]

Accurate testing and the information in our guides,is what our system is based on.

Since the pool already has algae, the only thing that will solve it will be a SLAM and you don't have time to complete that before your vacation and don't have a test kit to do it.

Just keep adding a gallon a day and right before you go, I would probably add 3 gallons and keep the pump running while you are gone. When you return, you can do a full SLAM.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
You are SO lucky you found us when you did............."oh green in your pool is just fine. Add this bag and it will be all good" NOPE!

Do as the above told you. When you get home do all of the tests and post them here like this:

FC
CC
PH
TA
CH
CYA

There are videos for each test on the site you bought the kit from. We also have some tips we can share if you have a problem with a test. There is also "extended testing" directions on the left side of the home page.

I am going to share a set of links I put together for new pool owners. It is a LOT of info. but it will all fall in to place as you start using the it. This will be for when you clear the pool with the SLAM:

Print these out:
Pool School - Basic Pool Care Schedule

Pool School - Recommended Levels

Bookmark these:
Pool School - Recommended Pool Chemicals

http://www.troublefreepool.com/calc.html

Pool School - ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry

Make sure to ask any and all questions you might have no matter how small! We have all been where you are at one point.

:hug: we got ya!

:kim:

Thanks to everyone. I've complied so far, and although I am by nature an optimist and a glass half full (or I suppose in this case it should be pool-half-empty-of-algae) kind of guy, the green tint seems to have lessened a shade...

Test kit ordered- i got the TF100 with a few options

Starting on my homework, which is not the kind of summer read I had in mind, but the Outer Banks await.

I'll keep everyone posted

mj

Well, I am back from vacation and the pool looks pretty good (I was a bit nervous after watching the Olympic diving events...). Clear without a hint of green.

My test kit was waiting for me and I ran my first test a bit ago (I ran the tests twice and got consistent results):

FC: 2
CC: 1
PH: 7.2
TA: 132
CH: 375
CYA: 55

The 'Low Salt' warning light on the SWG came on, so I added salt as per the manufacturers instructions.

Look in my siggy for the SLAM link. You need to do a SLAM to get your cc levels down and to make your pool look like a jewel! :sun:

I am glad it is not worse.

Look at the links above for where your levels should be after the SLAM.

:kim:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.