pool loses suction after a few hours

Aug 7, 2016
Massachusetts
I have an odd problem.

Recently got my skimmer basket and skimmer line replaced. Once it was ready I started trying to get the pump filter up and running.

When pump in on recirculate I have no problems. Pump can run for days without losing suction.

When i put pump on filter is when I have issues. Starts off with really low pressure. (2-3psi) Then the pressure slowly climbs up to about 10 over the course of about 2 hours. It stays at 10 psi for about 3-4 more hours then looses suction and stops pulling water in from skimmer line or main drain.

Here is what I have done.
1. Took apart filter and clean out filters. Then back washed for about 5 minutes.
2. Made sure skimmer baskets are clean.
3. Let air out of filter (isn't much air in the filter. )
4. Same thing happens if It set to skimmer line only of half / half skimmer main drain.

Not sure where to look yet. Appreciate any help.

Thanks

@johnt it is less than perfect.

@pooldv I vacuumed about 95% of the green algae from the bottom of the pool on Saturday. But I just tested my chlorine levels and they are low. So I have added some shock and then will make sure I vacuum the rest and see if that helps.

Welcome to the forum. :wave:

Your filter is doing what it is supposed to. It is filtering algae from your pool. In doing so. the filter slowly becomes clogged....increasing psi slowly until it finally becomes almost completely clogged and can no longer function.

Your issue is a chemistry issue. You will need to kill off that algae by SLAMming your pool and, once your pool is clear, all will return to normal.

The only puzzling part is the 2-3 psi when the filter is clean. I think it is a separate issue and, more than likely, you have some gunk wrapped around the impeller.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.