Replaced T15 Hayward SWG, salt display still showing low &Check System after 3 days?

Replaced T15 Hayward SWG, salt display still showing low &Check System after 3 days?

HI Folks,

After 6.5 yrs, my SWG T-15 Hayward began to fail me. Has the AquaRite controller (same age).

After repeated cleanings with M Acid, the old still would not produce enough FC even at 75%-95% and showed "check System low salt" red light, display was reading 2400-2500 ppm salt. Though, "diagnostic" display window still showed chlorine being generated with apparent normal voltage of 24-25 or so. Leslies' tested for salt and reported 3200ppm, and my AquaChek test strips agreed with Leslies' findings. So I ordered a new T-15 genuine Hayward and installed it 3 days ago. Instructions said when replacing a genuine Hayward T-15 with a new genuine T-15, no adjustments or re-calibration is necessary. But, after 3 days now, my salt reading display only rose to 2600 and is stuck there not moving any higher, despite Leslies and AquaChek testing showing about 3200ppm.:confused:

Is there anything else I need to check or may have missed?
Thx Folks
Ed
Massachusetts

Re: Replaced T15 Hayward SWG, salt display still showing low &Check System after 3 da

The unit has an instant salt reading when you run through the diagnostics by pressing the small button. Once you're on the salt reading move the power switch to "super chlorinate" and then back to the on position. Your average salt reading will then update to whatever you have on the instant readout.

Re: Replaced T15 Hayward SWG, salt display still showing low &Check System after 3 da

Can you post all of the diagnostics?

I would recommend that you get a Taylor K-1766 salt test kit.

TFTestkits.net

Note that this is an aquaplus, not an aquarite. To reset the average salinity, go to diagnostics, press the right arrow to get to instant salt where it will say "to save press +". Press + to save the instant as the average.

Hey guys,
Followed above advice JamesW, got to instant salt, was reading 2600, and I saved it. Not sure what that did for me as the 2600 was already showing in the diagnostics display. Again, test strips and Leslies confirm about 3200??? Did I do something wrong, or is there another was to recalibrate???

Most likely, your salinity is probably somewhere between both readings. Salt readings are generally +/- 400 ppm. As long as your cell is a T-15, I would go with the box reading. I suspect that the Taylor kit will be close to the swg reading.

What are the diagnostic readings (salinity, amps, volts and water temperature)?

Hi JamesW

Salt display now shows 2700. Diagnostic fucntion display AND instant salt both show 2400ppm, "check system" low salt red light still on.
Readings are
25.40 V
5.03A
75 degrees F
2400 ppm
Is there a reset I'm missing??

Been 4 days now since new T-15 Hayward installed, salinity has climbed from 2400-2700 on reading, but both instant and diagnostic window readings still only show 2400ppm. Percentage is set to 45%.What should a normal setting be for average use in Massachusetts? Salt strip and Leslies showed 3200ppm. K-1766 kit on the way.
Thanks for your help, cant help but wonder I must be missing something???????????
Ed

I think that there are several possibilities:

1) Seller sent the wrong cell. Check that the cell says T-15 on the label. If you got a T-9, then that would give the low reading.

2) Defective new cell. If the Taylor kit reads 800, or more, higher than the box, I would return the cell for replacement.

3) Used cell. Does the cell look new? Check the date code. The serial should start with 3E15 or 3E16. 3 is number of years of the warranty. E means cell. Then the next two are the year of manufacture. If it’s a 14 or earlier, I would be suspicious.

4) The salinity really is low. If the Taylor agrees with the box, just add more salt to get to about 3,000 to 3,200.

Thank you James for your help and info.
Yes, I'll check the cell numbers for legitimacy, I purchased "genuine" through Pool Supply World, so seemingly reputable. And test with the Taylor kit when it arrives next week
Thank you again
Ed

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.