Need tips and/or encouragement

Aug 5, 2016
Normal, IL
Just found the site last week. Came home to a broken filter a few weeks ago. Ordered new one but the pool was off for about ten days total. It was really dark green, but not much debris. Just a lot of algae. Got filter running Wednesday at 5pm. Bought and used Taylor k2006 test kit.

FC 12
TC 12.2
CYA 30
PH 7.7
TA 110
CH 50

its a vinyl pool. The color has gotten slightly better, but I haven't noticed a color improvement for last two days. Passed OCLT two nights in a row. CC has been less than 0.5 for two days. The color just isn't improving. I added DE on Friday as recommended (psi up 1). Have back washed three times due to pressure rising from normal 16 to 22 (after DE added).

I am am probably just being impatient. I have watched the FC like a hawk. Never below 11.5. The clock is ticking for me to get it open in time to enjoy it before the Illinois summer is over.

Any tips its or encouragement? Picture from this morning (day four).

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    47.1 KB · Views: 63
Welcome to the forum.

Patience is your friend right now, and so is your pool brush.

Continue your SLAM, and brush frequently to help expose all that algae to the chlorine.

As as long as there is visible algae, don't even bother with the OCLT (which I'm very surprised you passed with that green of a pool).

It's fine to use the 10ml sample with 0.5ppm to save on reagents.

Also, just focus on FC, the pH test will falsely read high when FC is above 10ppm. Once the green is gone we can start looking at CC & OCLT.

Dom

If that picture is currently what your water looks like, I find it very improbable that you would pass OCLT. Also, really.....OCLT should be the final step to confirm completed slam once water is clear.

Can you provide details on times tested and chlorine levels for OCLT. And do you have SWG running? Or pucks in a feeder?

And adding your pool information with test kit and how you chlorine to your signature helps us help you a lot :)

Friday night at 8pm FC was 15.5. Saturday at 6am 15. CC less than 0.5. Last night, same times 12.5 and 12 next morning. Testing around three other times throughout the day. No SWG. Using 10% liquid chlorine. Will add signature.

Any chance this is mustard algae and I need to go higher on the FC level?

I'm going to vote no on mustard algae. This looks like a really bad algae outbreak and I've been there. But it feels like we are missing something here.

You say you have the Taylor 2006. What kind of light did you do that CYA test in?

How were you chlorinating before it went green?

Daylight on CYA test. Worth it to test again? I tested twice in first two days. I could still slightly see the black dot on the first test, so I think it may have been less than thirty. Added some stabilizer just before starting shock process. Last time I measured it looked like it was almost exactly thirty. You think it may be higher?

- - - Updated - - -

Same chlorine before algae but I was using the test strips. I am sure I was under chlorinating most of the time with a weekly shock treatment. I have learned so much from this site in one week.

but I feel like I am missing something as well...

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I'm in agreement that it is not mustard algae, and is going to just require patience and chlorine.

I must say though, it's remarkable that you pass an OCLT & CC at 0.5ppm.

Dom

I think you need to retest your current CYA level to see if you're using correct FC level for SLAM.

I've never seen pool that green after 4 days of SLAM, something must be off. Just to re- confirm:

- how do you check your FC level?

- is your pump/filter running 24/7 and you can see water circulating around the pool?

- what is the history of that water- where it was filled from, how long ago, what other additives might have been added there over time? Point is if this was just one of TFPC pools it would behave as expected but if it is something else anything could be happening there.

usually algae dies out on second-third day of SLAM and loses its bright green color. Yours OTOH looks alive and kicking. Chlorine works in normal water if SLAM is done correctly so either FC level is off for one reason or another or water is not mixing up as it should or it contains something blocking chlorine.

if you have stairs try to take progress pics over them at the same time of day/lighting conditions- they provide view with gradual depth making it easier to see changes.

just saw your last post- wrong CYA level would be good enough reason for your troubles, please proceed at least one more day at that level and if you can take pic over stairs it would provide good reference starting point.

Thanks. See last post. CYA is at about 52-55. Check FC with Taylor k2006 test. Doing 10ml instead of 25 because of frequency of testing and high FC. 24 drops = 12 FC. Yes filter and pump running 24/7. Brand new filter with brand new sand. Third year with this pool. Never completely emptied. Can't say history before that. Had several algae outbreaks in the past. Old filter was not working properly. About twelve years old. Kept spitting sand into pool. Finally gave in and got a new one.

Thinking the the issue is that it has been at 50 CYA and I should have been shocking at 20, not 12 FC.

Thanks. See last post. CYA is at about 52-55. Check FC with Taylor k2006 test. Doing 10ml instead of 25 because of frequency of testing and high FC. 24 drops = 12 FC. Yes filter and pump running 24/7. Brand new filter with brand new sand. Third year with this pool. Never completely emptied. Can't say history before that. Had several algae outbreaks in the past. Old filter was not working properly. About twelve years old. Kept spitting sand into pool. Finally gave in and got a new one.

Thinking the the issue is that it has been at 50 CYA and I should have been shocking at 20, not 12 FC.

You may be on to something there.

Keep FC at shock level for 50 or 60(?) CYA. Keep filter running and brushing daily.

The daily photo suggestion is a good one. I've cleared a greener pool and at times you can feel stalled when there really is progress.

CYA scale is non- linear so 55 should be considered 60 and you should target slightly higher at FC=24. The rest seems fine and 3 year history should be long enough not to worry about more distant past as you probably already replaced all the original water by now. If you haven't added anything 'funny' over those 3 years I think the wrong FC target for your actual CYA was the only problem. I can't explain why you were not losing FC overnight though.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.