On our journey to a new pool in Spring, Texas

Aug 6, 2016
Spring, Texas
IMG_5118.jpg

I've introduced myself officially so I thought I'd provide the specs of our pool!

While we await our HOA to approve of the pool build, here we are. I'll be contacting irrigation, landscape and gutter folks over the coming days, although we are familiar with the landscape folks as we've used them before, and will use them again.

The pool specs are:

Pool area: 564'
Perimeter: 98'
Depths: 3.5 x 5 x 6.5'
Gallons: 21,150
Deck area: 814'
Pool: 34' x 24'

Other pool details:
6 x 6 tile
Coping will be hand chiseled flagstone
9.6' x 7' tan ledge (we didn't want a "large" tan ledge)
1 bench with one step out
12" rear wall with stacked stone
2 18" column in flagstone
3 36" sheer descents

Spa:
Tiered spillover faced with flagstone
Raised 12" spa faced with stacked stone
8 jets
Shared 2.0 hp pump
StaRite MaxETherm 400k BTU Heater
1 Pentair Intellibrite LED Color Light small
1 Silencer Blower

Right now, we are going with Wet Edge Luna Quartz (we like Aruba) although we might upgrade - suggestions please???

The equipment:
2 Pentair Intellibrite LED Large color lights
Pentair 320 Auto-chlor
Paramount O3 Ozonator (unsure of this, but many of my neighbors have these)
Pentair IntelliFlo VS 3.0hp pump
Pentair SuperFlo 2.0 hp Pump for water features
Pentair CCP 520 Cartridge Filter
Auto refill
Racer Vacuum with boost rite pump
Overflow line and grate
2 skimmers, 6 main drains, 6 returns
Pentair EasyTouch 8 with remote

Deck will be a spray deck, with 4" area drains for drainage, and 3 umbrella holders around about.

We will be adding a pergola to the garage during the pool build, but the design has not been finalized yet.

I'm not entirely sure how to upload/link pictures. I apologize if I messed up. I'll figure it out.

All the best folks.

Attachments

• IMG_5119.jpg
    IMG_5119.jpg
    90.8 KB · Views: 739
Last edited:
Re: I've introduced myself officially so I thought I'd provide the specs of our pool!

looks like a very nice setup,
just for thoughts, we were going to go with flagstone aswell but decide to go with travertine coping right before the dig, it was not a pricey upgrade and im glad we did, from what I gathered people seem to like the travertine more.

Re: I've introduced myself officially so I thought I'd provide the specs of our pool!

Thanks. I'll have to see about the pricing difference on that, plus the two other issues that I've been flip flopping on - the ozonator and Wet Edge Luna Quartz over a pebble sheen or something similar.

Thanks pooldv.

So if I decided to shelf the ozonator, what equipment would I need (if applicable)? We decided that we'd rather have a chlorine pool rather than a salt based pool.

Again, thanks!

For the last couple of days when I've had the time, I read through several posts on the trouble free system.

It appears that once the numbers stabilize as you "learn" about your pool, simple monitoring each day is all that it will take.

I think I'll still want to have the auto chlorinator for when we are out of town for a weekend here or week long trip there, but I look forward to giving this method s shot when our pool build is complete!

I don't see where the ozonator is useful. Am I wrong? I've read several posts but not many utilize it.

Ozone only sanitizes the water moving through it. It doesn't do anything for the water in the pool or anything when it or the pump is off. Chlorine is required for sanitation anyway. So why use it?

An update of sorts - we decided to go with the pebble sheen plaster, in either the Aqua Blue or Blue Surf. We are also sticking to flagstone. While the price is the same through our builder for both flagstone and travertine, we have a flagstone "grill" area that will be relocated to the back rear of our yard for a chiminea location of some sort (link of my current setup below as I can't figure this picture deal out).

It would be nice to tie in the flagstone coping to the flagstone fire pit/chiminea area.

Lastly - and the biggie, we are considering increasing the depth of the shallow/deep ends by 6", for a 4' shallow end, going to 7' deep end.

My wife and I are rather tall. I'm 6'3" and my wife just under 6'. We have an 11 year old son that is of average height for his age, but if he grows in to those flippers he is sporting, he will also be quite tall.

Thoughts?

http://i1088.photobucket.com/albums/i328/RedStickTiger/70839C2D-ADD8-4704-A7D3-3B9CFB5C1501.jpg

I vote for Blue Smurf. It's so pretty. Like the flagstone idea. And also agree on the depths.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
An update of sorts, Part II - we have our dig date scheduled for Tuesday, September 6th.

The current flagstone in the middle of the yard is being moved over the next couple of days.

The trees needed to be cut down are gone. Utility lines have been marked and flagged.

The gas line may need to be rerouted - the PB will look it over.

I was surprised that they didn't grind the stumps down but talked with our pool builder and they assured me that it will be ok. The folks that cut the trees down also work with the pool builder on all types of landscaping, irrigation, etc.

We will see!

The three Japanese Blueberry trees (look like Christmas trees in the picture posted) have been relocated to the back right corner. That crew should finish up today.

We are to select the various stone this weekend. Let's hope that goes well!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

link of my current setup below as I can't figure this picture deal out).

Just copy and paste the IMG code from your photobucket account into your post and it will appear. Like this:
70839C2D-ADD8-4704-A7D3-3B9CFB5C1501.jpg

Thanks Marla!

OK - we are "scheduled" to start the dig tomorrow. Only a 20% chance of rain tomorrow. About to rain now, and then a greater than 50% chance of rain Wednesday through Friday. I went ahead and updated my signature information.

Question on irrigation and landscaping. Which comes first, the chicken or the egg? After the pool is complete, do we have the irrigation done first, and then the landscaping or what?

I've included a couple of pictures of the flagstone area relocation that we will turn in to a small fire pit area. Nothing fancy, but I like how it turned out. Our back yard is already a mess given the relocation, but it is what it is!!!
341ECB66-1205-4E6A-BEE9-612A24CB41CF.jpg
32FD610F-A501-4B85-9D16-853015EDABA2.jpg

And a picture of the stacked stone that we plan to use for the back wall (1 foot raised wall).
4DCC1EAE-7E6F-4C8E-9C10-326334F46995.jpg

Thanks, Kimkats!

I asked my landscape guy and he advised to work the irrigation before the landscaping, but he wants to meet with the irrigation folk to make sure they work together on where things need to go plumbing wise as to where the planted items will be placed.

The dig took place yesterday. I had to work most of the day, followed by my sons football practice, so I didn't get quality day shots.

At any rate, we are off to the races.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.